Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Definitely not

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

linsybird

Songster
Jun 28, 2018
Oklahoma
I live an a good amount of land with three acres fenced, and a smaller backyard right by the house.

I’m hoping to extend the height of the backyard fence to use as a chicken run, but I’m trying to figure out the best way to do it. The main thing it needs to do is keep the chickens in, because we have three large dogs that run around in the big yard.

I have an idea that sounds like it would work, but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas or experience with this situation.

My idea is to get some of those 6ft green coated, steel garden stakes and use them as ‘posts’ to attach either chicken wire or metal fencing to, so the fence is taller. I would sort of weave the stakes through the chainlink so they would be sturdy, and again weave it through the extra chicken wire or fence. It’s kind of hard to describe, so I can give more detail if needed.

Now, I do have a habit of underestimating the difficulty of some of the ideas I come up with, and overestimating how well they will work. I don’t mind putting in the work though.

So is this a crazy idea? Could it work? Does any one know if other ways to do this without it costing an arm and a leg?

I'm not sure of the size of your small back yard. If you just want to be sure to keep chickens in (and hawks out) I recommend aviary netting to cover the back yard. Aviary netting (about $50 for 50' by 50' piece, Amazon) keeps your birds safe from hawks and will completely prevent escapes (some do manage to fly over even a 6' fence). I installed it to protect my ducks from hawks. (It does not protect against raccoons and things that can chew through it; my dog protects against those dangers since they can run around the coop and pens.) The netting can be held up by a PVC pipe framework or any other simple framework, or even wires strung between trees. This may or may not be what you need, but it does work well to keep birds in. It is also very lightweight and sturdy.

How high is the current chain link fence? I trim the flight feathers on one wing and don't typically have any birds flying over my 4 ft electric netting fence. I do have a few flighty breeds and they are happy to stay put inside the fence. I would be more concerned about overhead predators, as Duck Hill mentioned, and also about securing the bottom of the chain link. You could attach a chicken wire 'skirt' to the bottom 24 inches of the chainlink and bury the rest so nothing pushed under or reaches through. ALso, shrubs or other plantings can provide protection from overhead predators.

The green poles is exactly what I use. Mine tend to roost on the top rail of the chain link fence. I thread these posts into the chain link every 3 feet or so, then weave that black plastic bird netting onto the green posts. Works pretty well, they see it and don't fly up there.

I'm not sure of the size of your small back yard. If you just want to be sure to keep chickens in (and hawks out) I recommend aviary netting to cover the back yard. Aviary netting (about $50 for 50' by 50' piece, Amazon) keeps your birds safe from hawks and will completely prevent escapes (some do manage to fly over even a 6' fence). I installed it to protect my ducks from hawks. (It does not protect against raccoons and things that can chew through it; my dog protects against those dangers since they can run around the coop and pens.) The netting can be held up by a PVC pipe framework or any other simple framework, or even wires strung between trees. This may or may not be what you need, but it does work well to keep birds in. It is also very lightweight and sturdy.

That was actually the first thing I tried! The only problem I had with that was getting it high enough to mow under, otherwise the grass would grow like crazy. If my idea works out, I still want to put the netting over the top of it.

Around us, hawks are the main predators, other things avoid the area because of the dogs, so the netting is a great thing to have.

How high is the current chain link fence? I trim the flight feathers on one wing and don't typically have any birds flying over my 4 ft electric netting fence. I do have a few flighty breeds and they are happy to stay put inside the fence. I would be more concerned about overhead predators, as Duck Hill mentioned, and also about securing the bottom of the chain link. You could attach a chicken wire 'skirt' to the bottom 24 inches of the chainlink and bury the rest so nothing pushed under or reaches through. ALso, shrubs or other plantings can provide protection from overhead predators.

I think ours is 4ft. How early can you trim their feathers? I’m a little paranoid about them getting out, our dogs have never been around chickens before, so I want to take as many precautions as possible.

I’ve already started the skirt, I want to keep them as safe as possible. The shrubs are a good idea, I’ll have to try that too! I planned on putting something out there for them to him under, I just hadn’t figured out what yet.

The green poles is exactly what I use. Mine tend to roost on the top rail of the chain link fence. I thread these posts into the chain link every 3 feet or so, then weave that black plastic bird netting onto the green posts. Works pretty well, they see it and don't fly up there.

It’s reassuring to hear that it worked for you, I’ll have to look into the plastic netting for that!

My idea is to get some of those 6ft green coated, steel garden stakes and use them as ‘posts’ to attach either chicken wire or metal fencing to, so the fence is taller. I would sort of weave the stakes through the chainlink so they would be sturdy, and again weave it through the extra chicken wire or fence. It’s kind of hard to describe, so I can give more detail if needed.
Sounds fairy viable to me......depending on the exact configuration of the stakes and if they actually fit to 'weave thru' the chain link. Buy one and try it out.

To increase the height of my netting, I place a few wires across the pen. Then, I place some lightweight posts (e.g. 8' 2" PVC pipe) to hold up the wire in the middle of the pen. The wire holds up the netting. If the netting sags, I tighten the sides of the netting with zip ties till it's tight. This holds the netting high enough for me to walk under even if the sides aren't as high.

Back
Top Bottom