Exterior coop lighting?

thoth3g

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 16, 2014
As you can probably tell i'm trying to make a few decision about final touches on coop.

Has anyone here installed dusk to dawn lighting outside their coop?
Our coop is on the backside of our property and is in a pretty dark area. I'd like to put some dusk to dawn motion sensor type lights BUT i'm concerned that it will fool the chickens into staying out longer or thinking it's still daytime. ANY EXPERIENCES ON THIS???

I installed just a solar light because our hens were too... uh ... dumb... to get up into the coop once it was too dark outside... I used this light after reading some reviews. I love it! It's bright enough so you can see what you're doing and it stays lit well into the night. I've had this one since last august and it's still running great. If you just wanted the motion sensor aspect I'm sure you could find something similar and just put up a few around the perimeter.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IEBBLG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The birds seem to coop up before it's too dark, so I don't think they would be affected by the lights kicking on. They'd probably be asleep already.

We have dusk to dawn lights all over the place including by the open barn that houses my coops. The birds still go inside at dusk regardless of the lights. They actually are almost always in the coop before it's dark enough for the lights come on anyway.

I'll have to give it a try then. I was concerned. I will have the door set to close hopefully closer to or after dusk than sunset. The swing on daylight hours is about an hour a month here in the NW. I will be programming the door with diff times every month.
I would use a daylight sensor but some days the sun doesnt come out much, I've seen my dusk light on the back porch come on during the day..lol

Back
Top Bottom