External pip for 24 hours

Kpenney

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2023
Quite certain the answer is wait, but how long should you allow a chick to struggle to unzip? Noticed external pip last night, tonight the hole is bigger and can see chick inside. It’s peeping, breathing and doing lots of wiggling but is making slow-no progress and now it’s bed time. Do I leave it to continue? Should I check over night? Don’t want to go to bed and wake up to a dead chick in the morning when it was so dang close. *this is my fist hatch. Reading 24hours before assistance and also longer. Just want to make sure patience is the right move here.

Quite certain the answer is wait, but how long should you allow a chick to struggle to unzip? Noticed external pip last night, tonight the hole is bigger and can see chick inside. It’s peeping, breathing and doing lots of wiggling but is making slow-no progress and now it’s bed time. Do I leave it to continue? Should I check over night? Don’t want to go to bed and wake up to a dead chick in the morning when it was so dang close. *this is my fist hatch. Reading 24hours before assistance and also longer. Just want to make sure patience is the right move here.
Yes patience is the right move. Very likely you will wake up to a hatched chick! Sounds like it's getting ready to zip out of there.

I have only done two hatches myself but with broody hens. My limited experience is that I lost chicks I didn't assist after external pip of 24 hours. I would be for helping a little. I just left the bottom of the shell on but got the little head out and thst chick is now a pullet. The other two I waited and didn't help died.

Back
Top Bottom