extra friendly Buff Orpington... is it normal?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ShaggysGirl, Sep 25, 2009.

1. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Hi guys,
    My 5 Buff Orpingtons are 6 weeks old. They were to be all pullets but you know how that goes.... we have one cockerel. Any ways they look so much alike I'm not totally sure it is the same one each time but I think it is. When I go in the coop or run she'll come right up to me and let me pet her she'll even stand on my shoe, while petting her she'll make little noises and seems to want to follow me out of the run... lol Such a sweety.
    Is this normal for a BO to do this?
    Thanks
    Rhonda

2. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    It's all to do with the chicken's individual personality. Congrats on your little sweetie! [​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

My buff orp chick is one of my sweetest. She will jump up on my leg (if I'm sitting) or my arm and snuggle down... [​IMG] Warms your heart, doesn't it?

4. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Thanks. I hope she remains this sweet... maybe the others will follow suit.... I doubt it... the Marans are schizo so far.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    My buff orp is one of my sweetest girls..must be the breed or something..

6. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Yep my 2 BO's are lap chickens. Or they would be if I let them. [​IMG]

7. crackertrail

crackertrail Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    Hardee County
    We have 3 pullets and one rooster BO's. One of the females thinks we are here just to hold her and pet her. Her name is Lola and she knows her name. We would really grieve if something happened to her.

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Yeah... love the BO's. i had one that I lost recently, she was 5. Her name was Goldie and she was sweet as pie, jump in your lap and let you pet her type of chicken. I was just given a young hen and she will follow us around the yard and stare at us and let us pick her up.
    I also have a Blue Slate Turkey named Blueberry that wants to be held and if I sit down on the bench she hops up and lays down beside me.

9. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Yes that is kind of par for the course, they are really nice friendly birds.

10. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    Quote:I have a BO named Lola, too! We thought she was a roo, and with the he/ she confusion, we thought he was taking a walk on the wild side. Lola laid the first egg.

My BO's are all sweeties! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by