Extra Skin?

kitianity

Chirping
10 Years
Dec 18, 2013
I have been hatching some shipped auracana eggs. Two chicks from the eggs that are hatching at the moment were malpositioned. One of them I was able to save, although the other was too weak to make it.

The surviving chick has what appears to be a flap of loose skin on its butt. Has anyone seen this before? Is it something that will affect the chick's ability to grow? Will it go away?

It is a rumpless chick, and at first I thought it simply had a bald spot. However there is actually enough loose skin that I can gather it up between my fingers without effort.

Here's a pic of the skin flap. I can take more pics if necessary. The chick appears extremely healthy and energetic aside from having additional skin.

Attachments

• IMG_0493.jpg
    IMG_0493.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0493.jpg
    IMG_0493.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 19
It was all gathered up on the chick's back when it hatched, but now I can slide it around or gather it up.

Obviously their skin does some unusual stuff during the hatching process because it stretches to take in the yolk. That's why I was curious if it was common or uncommon and whether it might tighten up as the chick grows.

It was all gathered up on the chick's back when it hatched, but now I can slide it around or gather it up.

Obviously their skin does some unusual stuff during the hatching process because it stretches to take in the yolk. That's why I was curious if it was common or uncommon and whether it might tighten up as the chick grows.
Im really not sure. I hope the others I tagged will have a chance to stop by and will be able to tell you something. :fl
Let me tagg @KikisGirls if she doesn't know, she'll be able to find something or tagg someone else! :fl

I appreciate it a lot! From what I can tell the chick is doing well aside from the skin quirk.

This is the first malpositioned chick I've successfully hatched. Most of them are too badly tangled around themselves or unable to pip both internally an externally and suffocate / exhaust themselves before I can intervene.

i'll take a live chick with a weird dewlap on its backside over a dead one.

I appreciate it a lot! From what I can tell the chick is doing well aside from the skin quirk.

This is the first malpositioned chick I've successfully hatched. Most of them are too badly tangled around themselves or unable to pip both internally an externally and suffocate / exhaust themselves before I can intervene.

i'll take a live chick with a weird dewlap on its backside over a dead one.
Im so sorry.. its really frustrating.:(
Have you had any issues with temp or humidity during incubation and hatching?

I only lost one of the two malpositioned chicks. Extra-skin-butt chick is the survivor of the pair. Thank you for the kind words, though! It's very nice of you!

From what I've read malpositioning is extremely common in shipped eggs, and I've hatched other malpositioned chicks from the same egg seller, so it's possibly something specific to their shipping method. They do seem to have a higher rate of this than anyone else I've gotten eggs from.

I dry incubate, to answer your humidity question. I try to hold at 30-35 percent humidity then bump it up for hatching. However, I will admit that we've been having rain storms pass through, and I can't actually REMOVE humidity, so it's possible that the humidity fluctuated and that influenced the hatch.

Again, since I've seen this in the highest instances with this particular breeder/seller it's hard to chalk it up to any particular variable.

Back
Top Bottom