Possible slipped tendon on two birds ?

MaximilienR

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2024
Hi,

I have two birds inside separate pens that seem to have a trouble, both on their right leg hock. One is a +- 6months old Bresse that survived a fox attack but lost one toe and possibly part of another one in the fight (it healed very well though) and the other one is a blue Australorp (at least I believe it is or else it is a blue layer type chick) of +- 1 and a half month that I've just put outside with his brothers and sisters of the same age.

None of them show any sign of respiratory distress, none of their companions show any either.

For the Bresse , could it be that the injury she had put a strain on the other leg as she compensates due to the loss of her fingers ? Concerning the Australorp, it may have had this from the beginning, I can not confirm but I have noticed that two or three other chicks have some level of crooked toes due to me being a little bit too excited while they were hatching and probably opening the incubator's door too often to take the dry chicks, so could that have influenced his leg formation in the egg if he hatched later?

The Bresse still runs towards me but slower than usually. She has also always been smaller since the attack (she was around 2months old) She eats and drinks.
The Australorp walks on its leg and I've seen it jump and "run" on it and does not seem to be that much affecter by it, it is swollen at the level of its hock though, not on his feet.

I'll include pictures below.

The Australorp looks very much like a picture @Eggcessive posted on this link (the second one of his "possible slipped tendon" message.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/broken-chick.1092590/

Attachments

• bresse hock.jpg
    bresse hock.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • bresse hock 2.jpg
    bresse hock 2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • australorp 1.jpg
    australorp 1.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 7
  • australorp 2.jpg
    australorp 2.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 7
  • australorp 3.jpg
    australorp 3.jpg
    526.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Thank you for your answer. It was the conclusion I arrived to after further research, also after palpation it was not warm/hot to the touch (neither the hock nor the feet) and the Bresse looked more injured than sick, she maybe fell trying to climb on a piece of wood I had deplaced.

Thank you for answer and for the articles. I hope it's going to be able to live with it as it grows and put on weight, as if it is an Australorp like I believe it is it should be around 7pounds on average if I'm not mistaken.

Let us know how it goes. Some chickens can get around well enough to survive as adults, but there can be some with ruptured tendons, and some may not be able to get enough food and water. Many of these birds are culled as chicks.

Back
Top Bottom