Extra waterer?

Momofthewild

Chirping
Apr 9, 2020
I have an 8'x8' run and then a 1600sqft fenced in area for my chickens to forage. I have 8 chickens right now. A lot of the area stays shaded but it's still hot. I've been just leaving the run door open so they can get water and feed whenever they want but I don't see them going in there much at all during the day. Some of my chickens are panting. Should I put another waterer out in their forage area? I also set out a pan with ice, water and frozen berries. They're not going nuts over it....in the run I have a hen hydrater thing from Tractor Supply. Should I put ice in it every day to keep the water cool?

You can add a bucket out there to encourage more drinking, but generally they come back when they are thirsty. Ice water can sometimes shock the system in hot birds. I personally don't use ice. I've read others do. Chickens cool off best by having a nice dirt hole to lay in in the shade.

If they're having to walk across the yard through intense sunlight, it might be too hot for them to walk to the water. Ours hate being in the direct sunlight during peak hours of heat! Some chickens are smarter than others and know they need water... but some are too distracted by the heat to make the trek 🤦‍♀️ If you're worried just add another! :) can't hurt

I suggest putting a waterer in the shade, so they can get a drink without going in the sun. The shade keeps the water cooler, too.

I use horizontal nipples in 5 gallon bucks for waterers. I’ve never had one fail but I keep two in every coop/run just in case one does fail, they will have a back up. I also keep two feeders for each coop/run so they don’t have to fight over one feeder.

Back
Top Bottom