Extreme balding in flock

Chiquens4U

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2022
All of my birds(except the roosters) are bald on their head, back, shoulders, by their vent, and some also lack feathers on their crop. They look neglected and it’s embarrassing to have people even look at them. Most of them I am bonded with and intend to keep until they naturally pass. Some will go to the freezer later in the year. I think also some of the balding may come from my roosters but it frustrates me because I have 15 hens per my 2 roosters so I don’t see why they look like I have too many roosters. Before some hens go in the freezer I would like to have the problem solved. I intend on culling all my roosters first because I don’t believe there hormones aren’t helping the situation. During a period of time I had them on a high protein diet to help regrow feathers and I even bought saddles. The roosters literally tore the saddles and some hens beaks got caught on the fabric. Without saddles the hens get cuts and the others dig in and make a gash so lord knows if I don’t find it on time to put blue coat those hens would be eating each other alive. I covered their coop in first staturday lime and dirt baths and still see no progression. Anyone have experience with this? At this points it’s too much and I’ve always had 30 or more chickens and had almost no problems until now. I just feel like this isn’t a good quality of life for them.

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.

It does sound like over-breeding. Your ratio may not have enough hens for 2 roosters. Some just need more. I think the rule of thumb is 10 hens to every rooster. Which obviously differs from bird to bird.

Let's look at everything else though. Have you checked for external parasites? Pics of the chickens would help.

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.

It does sound like over-breeding. Your ratio may not have enough hens for 2 roosters. Some just need more. I think the rule of thumb is 10 hens to every rooster. Which obviously differs from bird to bird.

Let's look at everything else though. Have you checked for external parasites? Pics of the chickens would help.
857D20A5-B230-4DED-8700-B91E5C37517C.jpeg

Here’s my young olive egger who is an example of what I think is from the roosters(you wouldn't even know she had a crest).
FFE32055-9D32-4A53-83E0-01894034F302.jpeg

Same I think for this black australorp who somehow looks like a turken now…
B3E0FD4E-F9E8-4C6C-A14F-61A3049FB1C8.jpeg

016B45A8-19A7-4D48-B5CA-268D93CE6587.jpeg

Here is what I think might be mites, I don’t understand how a rooster might bald that area.
40172F6C-5EC4-4754-B65B-75683C857E1C.jpeg
30B57674-4D91-45EE-8815-F1DD38828AFB.jpeg

Americana with nonexistent beard.

No, I have not checked for external parasites although that is something I suspect I might have in my flock. Do you know how I might check for that? I can’t believe how hormonal these roosters are. Sometimes I think the are doing this because they are bored? Idk usually that’s the case for some other animals being destructive or harassing.

Attachments

• D33D7396-3567-4491-890E-A2F9287D48E8.jpeg
    D33D7396-3567-4491-890E-A2F9287D48E8.jpeg
    530 KB · Views: 3
  • A60AD12F-DF5F-4D47-9A82-289FF5B3479F.jpeg
    A60AD12F-DF5F-4D47-9A82-289FF5B3479F.jpeg
    798.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I really hate seeing this actually I have the same issue I have 2 hens with the same issue plus 1 hen with a neck injury. It's not really an injury . The roosters got her neck bloody so I brought her inside cleaned her up and put some antibiotics on the wound and kept her in my dog crate for a day. And now I put her back out again today. I probably should just eat Henry kind of pisses me off.

View attachment 3481790
Here’s my young olive egger who is an example of what I think is from the roosters(you wouldn't even know she had a crest).View attachment 3481791
Same I think for this black australorp who somehow looks like a turken now…View attachment 3481794
View attachment 3481814
Here is what I think might be mites, I don’t understand how a rooster might bald that area.View attachment 3481845View attachment 3481826
Americana with nonexistent beard.

No, I have not changed for external parasites although that is something I suspect I might have in my flock. Do you know how I might check for that? I can’t believe how hormonal these roosters are. Sometimes I think the are doing this because they are bored? Idk usually that’s the case for some other animals being destructive or harassing.
Looks like you've got a few things going on. First thing is first - do a parasite check. Check below vent and up under belly, at the base of feather shafts for eggs and bugs. You need to part the feathers and look at the skin and feather shafts.

I really hate seeing this actually I have the same issue I have 2 hens with the same issue plus 1 hen with a neck injury. It's not really an injury . The roosters got her neck bloody so I brought her inside cleaned her up and put some antibiotics on the wound and kept her in my dog crate for a day. And now I put her back out again today. I probably should just eat Henry kind of pisses me off.
I swear these birds never fail to give me a new issue to learn. I get good at solving a problem and a new one comes up and the old one I know how to solve doesn’t… I just had a hen I had to cull because I was treating her and it would only make her suffer longer. No progress just pure suffering, if anything she was slowly getting worse. Then that same day as if I wasn’t already in a bad mood somehow my favorite duck gets snatched that I had to save from drowning when she was a duckling already. Poor girl didn’t have the physique to get away like my flying mallards.

Last edited:
Looks like you've got a few things going on. First thing is first - do a parasite check. Check below vent and up under belly, at the base of feather shafts for eggs and bugs. You need to part the feathers and look at the skin and feather shafts.
I checked before and now and still see nothing. I will be culling all of my roosters this weekend I will see if it improves. What should I do now? I am so frustrated with these roosters I just want to cull them sooner. I don’t have the guts to take a life myself. I’m too soft and I ball my eyes out when even my someone else does it. I wish it could be easier like a rehome but no one wants roosters especially ones like this. The screaming in that coop just makes taking care of them much less peaceful.

Back
Top Bottom