1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Extreme broodieness!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GGBEAR, Oct 4, 2015.

1. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm sure they sell wire dog crates in the UK.

2. GGBEAR

GGBEAR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2014
    Rotherham
    Yeah they do but I have not got the money for that I'm expecting another baby so all funds go to the baby :)

3. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    No need to invest in a costly cage. You can rig a confinement out of a simple milk crate or even a cardboard box. If it's the latter, I would cut nice big holes in it for ventilation and make sure the hen has room to stand and eat and poop.

If you turn on your imagination, you can create a way to keep the hen out of the nest, even if it's as simple as blocking the nest boxes.

4. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    If you can remove the nesting boxes at night that might work i know mine can not be moved as they are built in but i just have to block them off.

5. GGBEAR

May 6, 2014
    Rotherham
    Yes I can move mine as my husband designed it like that so I shall try that
    She is eating and drinking and that and like I said before lock her out she acts normal until she gets back in so I will wait until others have laid then remove nest boxes and put them back in the morning see what happens

6. GGBEAR

May 6, 2014
    Rotherham
    Well she is still the same I took nest boxes out and Locked her out all day with no effect as soon as she went back in she just laid on floor ridiculous!!
    She has got to give up soon

7. attimus

attimus Chillin' With My Peeps

I've applied the same process before as Aart has With very similar timeframe and desired results. The idea of the elevated wire pen is to help with the airflow under the belly, and with no bedding to surround herself with, it should cool off and she should return to normal shortly. I wouldn't recommend immersion in cold water or ice blocks as it can become uncomfortable for your chickens.
    Attimus

8. GGBEAR

May 6, 2014
    Rotherham
    Yeah thanks trouble is she has been locked out all day eating and being normal but as soon as I let her in at night back to thinking she is hatching eggs

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Put her back on the roost after dark....or block the nests at dusk and uncover them after dark and she's on a roost.
    ...or make a cage out of fencing.

10. GGBEAR

May 6, 2014
    Rotherham
    Ill try going out ad moving her after dark I completely removed nest boxes like I said but she just sat on metal floor I didn't put them back in till morning
    She is challenging to say the least lol[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When she was being really stubborn she took up roost on grass on the kitchen Matt and on dogs bed after she got caught in the rain how much longer lol

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by