Extreme Heat

Thanks for this post. I didn't realize that panting and wings held out from the body was cause for concern. I just thought it was a normal response to heat, like sweating. I think I will buy a sprinkler today if I can find one at low cost.

My cat was panting in a way yesterday that concerned me. I immediately brought her into the AC, but she wanted back out soon after.
hu.gif
You can make a sprinkler for nearly free. http://www.stufftocraft.com/2009/05/recycled-soda-bottle-sprinkler.html. With the hose attachment that you use with a bottle, you can make sprinklers to fit your need at any time. They can hang, they can lay down, you can adjust exactly where the water comes out :) It is easy and kids love making them. We have to stand outside with the hose on mist and spray the chickens because they would avoid a sprinkler like crazy LOL!
A lot of these ideas are really great! So many of us (and thus our birds) have never lived through a summer this hot and dry for such extended periods of time. So all tips and tricks are appreciated!!!

Thanks for this post. I didn't realize that panting and wings held out from the body was cause for concern. I just thought it was a normal response to heat, like sweating. I think I will buy a sprinkler today if I can find one at low cost.

My cat was panting in a way yesterday that concerned me. I immediately brought her into the AC, but she wanted back out soon after.
hu.gif
You're welcome, Stephanie. But sprinklers are much different from misters and will not have the same cooling effect on the surrounding air due to the size of the water droplets. Misters work by 'flash evaporation,' sprinklers essentially throw the water to get the ground wet.

You can make a sprinkler for nearly free. http://www.stufftocraft.com/2009/05/recycled-soda-bottle-sprinkler.html. With the hose attachment that you use with a bottle, you can make sprinklers to fit your need at any time. They can hang, they can lay down, you can adjust exactly where the water comes out :) It is easy and kids love making them. We have to stand outside with the hose on mist and spray the chickens because they would avoid a sprinkler like crazy LOL!
A lot of these ideas are really great! So many of us (and thus our birds) have never lived through a summer this hot and dry for such extended periods of time. So all tips and tricks are appreciated!!!
Happy to share, Messy (I just like saying that. LOL!).

Here is a good Right up by Dr. John C. Morêki.
The information below is from Poultry Today (Jan-2008) and is a part of a article on the Feeding Strategies In Poultry In Hot Climates.
Note that the only time that it was recommended to increase the protein amount of the fowl's feed was when the fowl were being fed a 16% protein, Then he only recommended increasing the protein to 17 to 18 percent protein and then he stated that the increased protein level my increase more body heat. Also note the he recommends increasing the amount of energy that is in the fowls feed.

So in short by me decreasing my birds protein from 20 to 24 percent protein to a 18% protein by adding scratch grain (a sores of energy) I was well within Dr.John C. Morêki's recommendations of feeding to decrease heat stress.

FEEDING STRATEGIES

Minimizing heat stress is a vital part of having a profitable flock. As mentioned earlier,
during hot weather birds reduce feed consumption resulting in some nutrients becoming
deficient. To encourage feed consumption during heat stress various feeding strategies
are employed in many tropical and subtropical environments which are outlined below.

INCREASE NUTRIENT DENSITY OF THE DIET

It is recommended that the energy content of the diet be increased during hot weather.
The use of supplemental fat is suggested. Dietary fat increases palatability of feeds and
reduces the amount of heat increment that is produced during its utilization in the body.

INCREASE DIETARY PROTEIN

In hot weather the need for maintenance energy is much lower than at an ideal
temperature and birds respond by eating less. With the reduction in consumption, there is
often a reduction in intake of essential nutrients such as protein, essential amino acids,
minerals and vitamins. When this reaches a critical level, the result is reduced egg size,
shell thickness and egg production in laying hens.
To ensure that layers do not suffer nutritional stress of hot weather, it is recommended
that protein content of feed should be increased from 16% to 17-18%
. It is contended that
increasing dietary protein content would cover the requirements for isoleucine and
typtophan, while methionine and lysine can be supplemented with synthetic compounds
provided that they are cheaper than natural sources. There is, however, fear that
increasing dietary protein might be detrimental to the bird as more heat is produced
during its utilization that may well overload heat dissipation mechanisms (i.e., panting,
blood circulation etc.). Therefore, improving overall balance of the diet by amino acid
supplementation appears to be more effective than increasing protein intake.

Chris

Last edited:
You're welcome, Stephanie. But sprinklers are much different from misters and will not have the same cooling effect on the surrounding air due to the size of the water droplets. Misters work by 'flash evaporation,' sprinklers essentially throw the water to get the ground wet.
I know they aren't the same, but I guessed a mister probably wouldn't be available at dollar store up the road, but I did buy a sprinkler for $3.50. As soon as I sprinkled my run and garden, as well as moved all the babies out to the run enclosure, it started to pour down rain and the temperature dropped!

It was over 100 here yesterday. Other than making sure they have plenty of water and keeping the coop windows open 24/7 I've only thrown out some fruits. I didn't yesterday though-I didn't get out there because of other things that were going on. Our chickens look pretty hot and stressed and are seeking shade but theyr'e still laying pretty well. DH puts water in an old dog bowl and some of them have been standing in it. I'll probably throw them the rest of the old frozen grapes today.
gale65, you may wish to consider adding electrolytes to their water because if they look hot and stressed they probably are. Here is a simple recipe for electrolytes using common items in your pantry:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-heat-stress-dehydration-and.html

I lost a chicken to the heat I guess. I looked in the box to get eggs a couple hours ago and there she was sitting on the nest. Rigor mortis had already begun so she may have died yesterday. So sad...she was a New Hampshire.

I lost a chicken to the heat I guess. I looked in the box to get eggs a couple hours ago and there she was sitting on the nest. Rigor mortis had already begun so she may have died yesterday. So sad...she was a New Hampshire.
Oh no, Stephanie. I'm so sorry to hear it.

Hopefully some of these tips will be useful for the rest of your flock.

My condolences.

I know they aren't the same, but I guessed a mister probably wouldn't be available at dollar store up the road, but I did buy a sprinkler for $3.50. As soon as I sprinkled my run and garden, as well as moved all the babies out to the run enclosure, it started to pour down rain and the temperature dropped!
Well, that worked out just perfectly then, didn't it??! :)

Oh, no! so sorry to hear it.
it WAS really hot this weekend...but did you get the cool spell? hopefully the rest of your chickens will be okay.

Back
Top Bottom