Extreme Heat

I had some frozen grapes and bananas in the freezer so I gave the chickens some of those when it was really hot. I was still giving them the electrolyte chick mix in their water anyway so I am happy to hear that was a good idea. My chickens LOVE raisins, they are chicken cocaine. They love freshly pulled grass too.

It's easy and inexpensive to make your own elctrolyte solution at home! Here's the recipe:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-heat-stress-dehydration-and.html

I had some frozen grapes and bananas in the freezer so I gave the chickens some of those when it was really hot. I was still giving them the electrolyte chick mix in their water anyway so I am happy to hear that was a good idea. My chickens LOVE raisins, they are chicken cocaine. They love freshly pulled grass too.

Luckily the bad heat wave seems to be past the East coast now! My girls LOVED their frozen veggies! And I refreshed their water several times a day and added a new frozen water bottle each time to make sure the water was cool. Hope you all are seeing cooler temps now too!

I also freeze milk jugs and soda bottles for them to lay near as well as ice in their water seems to help alot. I also have a large drum fan that blows down the barn aisle for the horses I see them laying a comfortable distance from so they get a nice breeze all day.

Luckily the bad heat wave seems to be past the East coast now! My girls LOVED their frozen veggies! And I refreshed their water several times a day and added a new frozen water bottle each time to make sure the water was cool. Hope you all are seeing cooler temps now too!
I'm right with ya here on the east coast and loving the moderate temps!

Back
Top Bottom