Extreme prolapsed vent, disembowelment

She's behaving normally in spite of her predicament because the viscera haven't dried out yet and stopped functioning. It's only a matter of time that she will succumb to this. It may be possible to surgically replace all her innards, but now that they have been outside her body, bacteria has colonized the tissues, and they are starting to dry out. By the time you locate a vet who has the skills and willingness to attempt surgery, it will probably be too late.

If there is more protruding than just a couple inches of cloaca, she's likely a goner.
Thank you very much for your insight. I think her viscera may have started to dry out already - I notice some of whichever stringy organ it is that's exposed has become discoloured. And the length of the protruding organ is about the same as my forearm or more. Any vet near me is reluctant to take a chicken as a patient at all, I don't think there's any way they'd be prepared to try to help this one in her state even if it was possible.

As I say, I couldn't euthanise her myself if I tried with how strong and alert she is at this stage, there's no one around who could help with it, and I would be surprised if she makes it through the night. Just such a tragic situation.

She's behaving normally in spite of her predicament because the viscera haven't dried out yet and stopped functioning. It's only a matter of time that she will succumb to this. It may be possible to surgically replace all her innards, but now that they have been outside her body, bacteria has colonized the tissues, and they are starting to dry out. By the time you locate a vet who has the skills and willingness to attempt surgery, it will probably be too late.

If there is more protruding than just a couple inches of cloaca, she's likely a goner.
To add to my last reply - I've added some photos to the thread but please be warned of how graphic they are.

Oh no, that's horrible, it looks like her intestines and reproductive system. Is there a neighbor or someone that can help you? The broomstick method is very quick as long as you pull hard and fast.

Ok. I usually don't say this but here goes.
Managing chickens or any animal is awesome, beautiful, pure enjoyment.
However, there are many gory ugly sides to management.
Put on your big panties, be a responsible owner, and cull/kill this bird. Don't let her suffer because "you just cant". Say a prayer, Do the deed, say a prayer, drink a beer and go on.
This will not be the last time you have to kill, it hurts, rips your heart out, but we do what has to be done.
My thoughts and prayers are with you. Life's hard

Put on your big panties, be a responsible owner, and cull/kill this bird. Don't let her suffer because "you just cant". Say a prayer, Do the deed, say a prayer, drink a beer and go on.
This will not be the last time you have to kill, it hurts, rips your heart out, but we do what has to be done.
OP is physically unable to put down the chicken, no squeamishness here. We are trying to find a way that doesn't involve much strength. Edit:I do fully agree with you on principle.

I totally agree that it needs to be done, however I know I will not be physically strong enough to snap her next with my bare hands so I need to find a way to do it. I know this is really brutal, but could jumping on a shovel do it?

OP is physically unable to put down the chicken, no squeamishness here. We are trying to find a way that doesn't involve much strength. Edit:I do fully agree with you on principle.
Thank you for your continued help! I know this is really brutal, but could jumping on a shovel do it? She is still standing up so I'll have to find a way to lay her neck out if I do it that way.

Back
Top Bottom