Extremely Bizarre Duck Behavior....

Brian Rinaldi

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 14, 2014
If I didn't see it I wouldn't believe it!

I have 3 female, five month old American Buff ducks that have been exhibiting mating rituals. I witnessed one on the bottom, flattened out with one above holding it neck sown under water, with the third duck on top of the second duck. Three ducks on top of each other in a row, supposedly female... Is this typical behavior? There is so much mating like behavior going on throughout the day that I am questioning the sex of the ducks.

In the absence of males, and sometimes even with, ducks will mate with other ducks. Drakes will mate with other drakes and I've even seen a goose try to mate with a chicken ! That one didn't work out so well and had I not been there to rescue the poor chickie it would have probably ended badly for her. Anyway, the thing is, the urge to mate and create more of the species is so strong in some animals that the actual gender of the other is not that important. It's actually quite a common occurrence.

In the absence of males, and sometimes even with, ducks will mate with other ducks. Drakes will mate with other drakes and I've even seen a goose try to mate with a chicken ! That one didn't work out so well and had I not been there to rescue the poor chickie it would have probably ended badly for her. Anyway, the thing is, the urge to mate and create more of the species is so strong in some animals that the actual gender of the other is not that important. It's actually quite a common occurrence.
Thank you for the reply max, im new to the whole duck thing so i was unaware

X2

The mating habits of ducks amazes me as much as their rapid growth from ducklings to big ducks. I wonder if the two are related, lol. We got rid of all drakes but one and I still have to chase him off some of the girls.

Back
Top Bottom