Extremely graphic.. Do not view then complain.. Predator reality

No critter cam but rather a really powerful spotlight I can shine from the house over to the loft. No evidence of coon tracks in the mud and nothing has shown interest in the carcasses of the dead birds. I moved the perch that was near the wire and haven't lost another bird so far. My spot light continues to show a barred owl that seems to have a keen interest in the loft. He sits in a low nearby tree and looks through the wire. I'm not ready to convict him yet because I know that mice in search of feed are plentiful. The Cooper's hawk usually appears out of seemingly nowhere except when the crows or blue jays spot him first and alert me. I haven't seen much of him lately. It's been really wet and nasty and I haven't been free flying the birds much.

Glad to hear that you have not lost a bird since you moved the perch away from the hardware cloth. Hope you can keep your remaining birds safe!

I know this post is late, but I would bet it was a owl. I had a roller killed in just the same way. It was a owl, I agree, a raccoon would of eaten bones and all. But a owl or raptor will rip it apart and eat just like the one you found. They usually eat behind the head, or neck first if it has total access to pigeon. Mine was a mean old owl.

Last edited:
Victim is a small delicate bird yet bones are articulated and intact which is not consistent with a bone crunching raccoon or opossum but very consistent with a raptor. Raccoons do have good salivary function, old wivestail in place concerning need for washing food.
Even if the raccoon had tried to pull the entire bird through the wiring to eat the bones as you suggest, there isn't ample space for the bones (and much of the body) to pass through. I am under the impression that most raccoons (not all) are much more interested in the flesh and guts of their prey rather than the bones, which explains why the wing is stripped and the thoracic cavity is empty.

Whatever it was reached through a 1x1 heavy gauge mesh, held a likely startled and flapping bird, pulled its wing through that small hole and began the dissection you see. I notice some evidence of scratch/ claw marks on some of the wooden structures in the vicinity. How a raptor would hold the bird through that heavy mesh is a bit of a mystery. I've baited a live trap with the carcass.
x2

I would agree that a raccoon grabbed the pigeon, and the hawk stopped by to investigate the carcass.
Hope you catch the culprit!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom