Extremely large chicks!

TNchickns

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 12, 2014
We have a mixed flock of 9 mature chickens and got 6 chicks that are almost 5 weeks old. This is our first time raising chicks, 2 barred rick, 2 Orpingtons (one with feathered feet so I'm not sure it's an orpington), and 2 golden comets. We were told they were all about the same age, approximately 2 weeks old when purchased. The golden comets growth exploded during the first week we had them, they have also been very slow to feather compared to the others. The comets started getting attacked, feather picking, by the smaller ones so we had to do separate brooders.
My question is about their size, they seem abnormally large and can't support their body weight for more than a few steps. Also, should I be concerned that the others are totally feathered and these big girl comets are totally naked on the bottom and underneath the wings. Thanks!

Attachments

• 0405181332c_HDR-1.jpg
    0405181332c_HDR-1.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 0403181408a_HDR.jpg
    0403181408a_HDR.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 31
If I am correct and I'm pretty sure I am, if you want to keep them for other than meat you may have to restrict there diet on the grower feed as they will put on so much weight by 6 to 8 weeks they will hardly be able to walk

They don't look like golden comets pretty sure they're looking like Cornish x. meat chicks...
x2, those in the picture are Cornish Cross (Cornish X). That is why they are putting on so much weight rapidly, and that is why they have difficulty walking. these type of chickens have been selectively bred to put on weight like that and unless you restrict their diet, they wont likely live long. They are typically butchered for meat around 8 or 9 weeks of age.

good luck :hugs

I also have one giant chick like yours. I am giving it broiler booster to help it develop stronger legs. Mine sits down a lot but if I let it out of the cage it will jump, run and try to fly. Exercise is the one thing I can do to help it get stronger. But if the chicks are Cornish X, which I suspect is right, then chances are they won't be long lived birds. :(
One of your big ones is already looking like a rooster.

Geez, how much do I restrict their diets? We're a vegetarian family so I definitely won't be butchering them! I thought the one might be a rooster too. They were supposed to be sexed hens.

I have come a cross a couple posts in the forum here where some kind soul was raising some for pets/eggs, they restricted the diet quite a bit and it may not be possible if you have one coop for all your birds...Maybe try searching meat chickens or cross x...I know I have seen a few posts concerning giving these birds a shot at a longer life. I have raised some before for meat and once was enough, I live in deep south and a lot of meat chicken houses around here. Hard not to feel sorry for these birds as they look so miserable by 2 mos. they hardly walk and even struggle to breathe not to mention stink something awful.

Yes!!! They smell horrible! I'll do some research, I wouldn't mind letting them live out whatever time they have, but I do not want any kind of rooster, sigh. Thanks for the input.

Back
Top Bottom