Extremely loud/coughing chicken

alisonjones89

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 25, 2014
Colorful Colorado
Hello Backyard Chickeners,

One of my best hens, a Barred Rock, has been EXTREMELY loud and shouty, which I think could be a cough? She is eating and drinking just fine, but she is doing a lot of open-mouth breathing. Her comb and wattles are nice and red, but I don't think she is laying (it's hard to tell because I have so many chickens, but she is not squatting). She runs around with the rest of the flock like nothing is bothering her, but she is so loud and obnoxious and just sounds uncomfortable. I have tried vitamins/electrolytes in her water as well as well as yogurt, but she does not seem to be improving. This has been going on for a few weeks now. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do/what to give her? I might give her another week or two, but we have considered putting her out of her misery. Any help and advice is MUCH appreciated. Thanks.

Alison

It might be some kind of respiratory infection. Terramycin and Duramycin are two that are usually in feed stores. Tylan 50 is also an option if you can find it. The feed stores around me don't sell it because it is considered "veterinarian only" but might be different where you are. If it is an infection, it will likely spread to the rest of your flock so keep an eye on the others. I would also keep an eye out for any other problems that might stem off of this one. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me can answer better than I did. Good Luck!

Could you possibly post a video of her doing this on YouTube, then post a link? I have a hen who is just loud and noisy, but that is her normal behavior. Chicken sneezing can be quite loud, and can be caused by dusty feed, or from respiratory infections such as bronchitis and others. Check her nostrils for any dirt or mucus present.

Ok, here is the link to the YouTube video I took of her:

I got some Duramycin at the feed store, and I'm planning on starting her on it tomorrow. I have a means of isolating her as not to disrupt the collection and consumption of the rest of the eggs (I think the withdrawal was three weeks). Anyway, any additional advice would be wonderful. Thanks.

After watching your video, I think she is coughing and gaping. It may be a respiratory disease such as infectious bronchitis, or something else. Is she able to eat and drink? Certain worms can affect the breathing, so I would suggest deworming her with SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 1/4 ml per pound for 5 days in a row. The tetracycline may help prevent secondary infection if it is a virus, or can help to treat a bacterial respiratory infection. Tylan 50 is a little stronger antibiotic that can be given orally or by injection.

Yes, she is eating and drinking just fine. Other than the coughing and lack of egg laying, she seems to be ok. None of the other chickens seem to be affected, and I have been pretty closely monitoring them. I was hoping to get Tylan, but they did not have it at my feed store. I'll try the wormer too. If all else fails, I suppose I'll cull her.

Back
Top Bottom