Extremely swollen foot!! Bumblefoot, scaly leg mites, or something else!?

Pics
Okay I could not find any cut or anything and she seems perfectly fine with me manipulating her foot and toes, pressing/squeezing toes, etc. no complaints. Also checked her all over for feather mites, etc. but didn’t see anything. She does look slightly skinnier but I think that’s just because she’s molting and has lost a lot of her under fluff haha do you think the scaly leg mites could have introduced infection or caused a cut or something?

Also I will say that her foot does indeed appear slightly warm. Not burning up or anything but definitely warmer than the other foot.

Her foot also appears kind of soft so whatever this is isn’t hard.

Also I do have another chicken with a hard lump/bump between one of her toes if that’s relevant at all. But she’s had this bump a while and it doesn’t appear to bother her. But I just bring it up in case it could be relevant.

Idk if you can really see it here, it’s more on the other side but I was holding her with that hand.

9A003FFA-D30F-44D3-B51F-FAE3958F28D0.jpeg 41221FF9-785D-4EFF-B1FD-08824CCD9840.jpeg

The other chicken may have some bumblefoot starting. What does the bottom look like? You primary chicken with the problem has some cracking and lose scales. I would probably soak her foot daily for a full 30 minutes in warm Epsom salts in a dishpan, bucket, or wastebasket. After it is dry, you could put some antibiotic ointment on it.
upload_2019-9-30_14-59-24.jpeg

The other chicken may have some bumblefoot starting. What does the bottom look like? You primary chicken with the problem has some cracking and lose scales. I would probably soak her foot daily for a full 30 minutes in warm Epsom salts in a dishpan, bucket, or wastebasket. After it is dry, you could put some antibiotic ointment on it.
View attachment 1922009

I think the bottom is normal but I will check again. She’s had it a while though I think but I will check again.

And okay, I will try that. Thank you. How long should I do that for? Like how many days? And should I wrap her foot or anything? I think I might clean the coop out again and/or clean the run a bit.

And I think she and a few of the other chickens also have scaly leg mites. Could that cause her foot to swell like that??

If it is that, I’m assuming the bath and antibiotic ointment will also help that too?

Okay turns out the other chicken does appear to have a bit of a scab and now I feel awful I never noticed it before. :oops: I just assumed it was nothing because it was on the top of her foot rather than the bottom, was hard, didn’t seem to bug her, and hasn’t gotten better or worse or changed at all since she’s had it, so I assumed it was some sort of deformity or injury or something. :oops:

But I will definitely be treating it now. Along with the primary chicken.

Please... do not feel awful! You are clearly a great chicken mama. I'm following along this thread because I have some of the same issues with my girls. We are all just trying to do the right thing.

Okay turns out the other chicken does appear to have a bit of a scab and now I feel awful I never noticed it before. :oops: I just assumed it was nothing because it was on the top of her foot rather than the bottom, was hard, didn’t seem to bug her, and hasn’t gotten better or worse or changed at all since she’s had it, so I assumed it was some sort of deformity or injury or something. :oops:

But I will definitely be treating it now. Along with the primary chicken.

Please... do not feel awful! You are clearly a great chicken mama. I'm following along this thread because I have some of the same issues with my girls. We are all just trying to do the right thing.

Thank you! I really appreciate that. That is so sweet. And that we are! I am still learning even after 4 years of having them haha

Back
Top Bottom