Extremely Thin Shells-can't seem to remedy

Colberon

Songster
Jul 2, 2019
Northern Maine
I have four hens and currently two, but sometimes three lays eggs with extremely thin shells and I can't seem to figure out how to remedy. We live in Norther Maine and the four currently reside in a 4x4 coop, but up until a couple of weeks ago we had five hens and a rooster with two 4x4 coops available with a shared run which is 5ft X 15ft. (The four are now together in one coop as we recently rehomed our rooster and we had one hen with water belly and had to be put down a week ago.) We are currently feeding them Dufour 16 % Egg Maxx Pellets. They get 2-3 handfuls of mealworms each day, oyster shells are available and I try to feed them cottage cheese a couple of times a week. It rare that they get any other "treats" except when it's really hot I will give them some watermelon or frozen veggies. I did just find out that we have a mite issue, but I got that right under control in a hurry with Permethrin and they always seem to have this issue. Thoughts anyone??

I have four hens and currently two, but sometimes three lays eggs with extremely thin shells and I can't seem to figure out how to remedy. We live in Norther Maine and the four currently reside in a 4x4 coop, but up until a couple of weeks ago we had five hens and a rooster with two 4x4 coops available with a shared run which is 5ft X 15ft. (The four are now together in one coop as we recently rehomed our rooster and we had one hen with water belly and had to be put down a week ago.) We are currently feeding them Dufour 16 % Egg Maxx Pellets. They get 2-3 handfuls of mealworms each day, oyster shells are available and I try to feed them cottage cheese a couple of times a week. It rare that they get any other "treats" except when it's really hot I will give them some watermelon or frozen veggies. I did just find out that we have a mite issue, but I got that right under control in a hurry with Permethrin and they always seem to have this issue. Thoughts anyone??

Attachments

• D3402387-0450-4D6D-894C-BCAA92614A8D.jpeg
    D3402387-0450-4D6D-894C-BCAA92614A8D.jpeg
    490.7 KB · Views: 12
Mealworms are very high in fat which can cause health and laying issues with hens. I'd give just a small handful as a treat maybe once a week at most. The best food they can have is the formulated layer food, and maybe give a couple of handfuls of grains if you want to give them a little treat. Sprouted grains such as wheat are also a good treat, but you might have to experiment with what stage your girls like it at - ours like it just starting to sprout but other birds like it when it has a proper little green shoot.

I would cut out all treats for a little while and see if that makes a difference to the quality of the egg shells.

Yep, stop the mealworms for a week and nothing but Egg Max feed.
The Layers feed has enough Calcium but only if they eat enough. For large foul chickens that's about 2/3 of a cup of feed for each chicken.

To give 4 chickens a treat measure a half cup of dry feed into a bowl (2 Tbsps per hen) and add about a half cup of water and let the pellets soak till you get a consistency like oatmeal and serve.
My chickens love it.
20210715_134655_resized_kindlephoto-12877721.jpg

I feed Crumbles so I add water and serve immediately.
As for treats like mealworms or Scratch Grains give no more than 2 Tbsps each daily, a coffee scoop measure.
20200912_091223_resized.jpg

During summer temps limit mealworms or Scratch to 1 Tbsp each daily.
Wet mash made with Layers feed can be fed a couple of times daily as long as they finish it within an hour or two. GC

Mealworms are very high in fat which can cause health and laying issues with hens. I'd give just a small handful as a treat maybe once a week at most. The best food they can have is the formulated layer food, and maybe give a couple of handfuls of grains if you want to give them a little treat. Sprouted grains such as wheat are also a good treat, but you might have to experiment with what stage your girls like it at - ours like it just starting to sprout but other birds like it when it has a proper little green shoot.

I would cut out all treats for a little while and see if that makes a difference to the quality of the egg shells.
Thank you, we'll cut out the mealworms and see if that makes a difference!

Yep, stop the mealworms for a week and nothing but Egg Max feed.
The Layers feed has enough Calcium but only if they eat enough. For large foul chickens that's about 2/3 of a cup of feed for each chicken.

To give 4 chickens a treat measure a half cup of dry feed into a bowl (2 Tbsps per hen) and add about a half cup of water and let the pellets soak till you get a consistency like oatmeal and serve.
My chickens love it.View attachment 2781443
I feed Crumbles so I add water and serve immediately.
As for treats like mealworms or Scratch Grains give no more than 2 Tbsps each daily, a coffee scoop measure.View attachment 2781445
During summer temps limit mealworms or Scratch to 1 Tbsp each daily.
Wet mash made with Layers feed can be fed a couple of times daily as long as they finish it within an hour or two. GC
Thank you for your response, I had a scissor beak that I fed mash to daily and I know she sure loved it, I will give that a try!

Agree, lay off the treats. A new “treat” is the wet mash made from feed+water. Add some seeds or berries on top of it, if you want.

if they are still laying thin eggs after 10-14 days of only feed with access to oyster shell, you can try the remedy for soft-shells. Buy calcium citrate tablets (smaller dose is fine) crush up a tablet and add to “treat” like small amount of wet mash or scrambled egg. Only use this a few days and see if there is improvement. But, don’t think it it’s meant to be an every day thing, so if it helps, perhaps 1-2x per week will work. Discontinue when they are molting/not laying.

Back
Top Bottom