Extremely underweight / Runny bum pekin

Boonze

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 19, 2014
Hi there the little pekin cockeral I got a few weeks back is extremely underweight (very prominent keel bone), has a pale face and has runny stool (I think - dirty vent feathers). He's very active, eats a lot and drinks just fine and seems healthy in every other way. He doesn't sit hunched up or have bloody stool, so I don't think its Coccidiosis, but maybe worms?

I wormed him a few days ago (along with the rest of the flock) but I think it's too early to tell if that's the problems yet. Nobody else has this issue, they're all healthy weight and nice red faces.

The food they're on has recently been switched to Show Breeder micropellets, though he was ill long before I changed foods - I thought he might be able to get more into him this way since the original food was Barastoc Layer pellets (and I have a mixed flock of layers and bantams).

PS it is winter here and he's going through his 3-5 month old moult - I'm guessing maybe that has something to do with it but he still shouldn't be that thin. There are no bird vets around me so I can't take him in, at the moment I'm just watching him. Suggestions?

Coccidia doesn't always involve bloody droppings, but I agree, its more likely worms. It could also be some other parasite, such as mites or lice.
Chickens are more prone to illnesses during the winter and tend to be pale and inactive during the molt. Try to get lots of good food into him, scrambled eggs and dry cat food and other such things. They also don't dust bathe as often, and can more easily get parasites. Make sure he is getting plenty of protein to help with his new feathers.

I hope this helps: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/837194/very-thin-clumsy-chicken-please-help

Best of luck! I hope your roo gets better soon!

Back
Top Bottom