Eye crusted shut, not eating or drinking. (Pictures added)

I am currently treating Coryza. I am using Gallimycin water soluble. Scrubbing waterers with soap and clorox in between each water fill. Times 14 days, then will vaccinate for Coryza and cull any bird that has a return of symptoms. We've already started culling birds that are not showing any clearing of symptoms as they are the carriers.

Do a search on ILT, I had this once when I got some baby chicks, I lost 5 and had to cull 2.

Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILT) in Poultry

Last edited:
Let's cross our fingers and hope it is CRD or something easily treated.
One of the most tell tale symptoms of Coryza is the horrible odor emitted via the chicken's nasal/sinus passages. It smells just like rotting flesh.
And true, no matter what they have, if they don/t feel well, they won't eat or drink. Especially won't drink! I don't know why they'll eat sometimes but stay away from the waterhole..
idunno.gif
I was picking out the sicker ones and actually "drenching" them with a full day's dose of meds to make sure they got the amount required to help them get better.
I'm praying for you and everyone else here tonight with sick chickies. It's just heartbreaking. :aww

Last Friday I noticed that 2 of my chicks seemed to have a cold. One was sneezing and breathing through her mouth. The other one had similar symptoms, but by Saturday she was sitting in a corner with her eyes glued shut. Of course I ran to the backyardchickens forum for help and realized I might have Coryza.

Friday evening I went straight to the feed store and got Oxy-Mycin 10. After I finally figured out the correct dosage, I added it to all waterers. I'm treating my entire flock of 12 hens. For the really sick one, Red, I fed her with a syringe, oatmeal with extra vitamins and stirred in apple butter. She would get about 7 ml each time. Then I would feed her about 5ml of medicated water via the syringe. I continued this for 3 days. Then on Monday I started adding a little chick start to the mixture. I did this for 2 additional days.

I'm so happy to report that as of yesterday she was flapping about the coop and eating and drinking on her own. Eyes open and swelling down. She's still a little sneezy, but doing very well.

I'm continuing the antibiotics for 10 days to try to prevent a spread to the rest of the flock. I think it might be that Coryza stuff because there was a weird smell about her face.

I'm new to chickens, but I'm hopeful these measures will be all I need to do.

I definitely think the hand feeding several times a day helped save her from dying.

Back
Top Bottom