Eye goop, how do I get rid of it?

We have a store real close by that sells a ton of chicken supplements so I have no problem getting there just have to find time.
Is the egg better cooked than raw? For them
I was warned against giving raw egg only because a hen might realize where she can get some for herself (her own eggs from her own nest). I don't think hens eating their own eggs is very common, but I've never wanted to risk it...

I was warned against giving raw egg only because a hen might realize where she can get some for herself (her own eggs from her own nest). I don't think hens eating their own eggs is very common, but I've never wanted to risk it...
Ah that’s smart, mine will lay their eggs while roosting then eat them so I’ve already lost that game 😂 but I’ll cook her an egg before bed

Ah that’s smart, mine will lay their eggs while roosting then eat them so I’ve already lost that game 😂 but I’ll cook her an egg before bed
Oh no! Don't know what your setup is like but it sounds like you need a poop board under their roost and maybe some wire to keep them out of it. They should grow out of laying eggs at night as they mature, but I'd definitely try to break the habit of them eating their eggs asap. It's a good idea to leave a dish of crushed egg shells in the coop when they are laying for the extra calcium they need (they know how much they need to eat), but again it should be well crushed so they don;t get any ideas about pecking at whole eggs (or you can buy crushed oyster shell at a feed store).

That is a severe infestation- I have seen them that bad but only on silkies. For some reason they seem extra prone to it. You CAN give her some iron supplement, but you need to break it open, take a 1/3 of the capsule, mix with water and then give in the beak. I'd do it three days in a row (so one full capsule) and stop because while anemia is bad, so is way too much iron. I have given iron like this to anemic birds and it did help.
You could also mix it in the egg or sprinkle on the egg if you can be sure she'll eat it. I just do it by syringe because then I know exactly how much the bird actually ate.
Please don't use DE on this. it's not gonna help and it may make things worse. You need proper medication like pyrethrin.

I got the permectrin dust, it says to put it around her vent, will putting it there actually help her when all the bugs are on her head? I have checked under her wings, her neck, her back and her vent and it’s only on her head

Dust as best you can where you see the lice and the eggs. Check all of your chickens, and treat if you see the same.
Alright I finished the treatment, I repeat this every day for a week right? I got it on my gloves and gently rubbed it into her head feathers and chin feathers, she fell asleep while I was doing it

No, no. You repeat it in 10 days to get the newly hatched lice before they can reproduce. Lice eggs every 10 days. You will need to clean out the coop and nest box bedding, treat the coop, and roosts. That is easier done with the permethrin spray. Here is another link that you can read:
https://cpif.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/LIce-and-Mites-copy-3.pdf

Back
Top Bottom