Eye infection/disease???

AudreyRangel

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2020
Does anyone know what this is or what I can do to treat it?? Noticed that one of my hen's eyes was looking funny a few days ago...it progressed to looking like this :( It seems to be itchy as I always see her trying to scratch it with her feet. (Sorry for the cruddy picture...that's as close as she'd let me get!!)

Attachments

• 20200806_172515.jpg
    20200806_172515.jpg
    823 KB · Views: 17
Where are you located? Do you see anything in the eye, such as bubbles or foam, pus, sticky drainage, or tiny worms? Have you heard any sneezing, crackles when breathing, or seen any nasal drainage? A respiratory disease such as MG or coryza might be possible, mites or lice on the head causing itching, a peck wound, or possibly eye worms.

Hi! I'm am located in South Texas (RGV). I'm not sure if stress can be a factor in this?? We were recently hit with a hurricane and my girls' coop flooded pretty bad. I noticed a problem with her eye days after the storm. It's hard to really see anything as the eye seems to be tightly swollen shut. The health of my hen seems to be great, nothing out of the ordinary...maybe just a little trouble getting around since she can only see out of one eye (and of course the injured eye). We did recently have a lice outbreak (struck me as strange because I've never had that problem before) but we were able to treat it and the lice/mites are gone now!! I'm am currently looking for a good antibiotic that I can give her :)

Back
Top Bottom