Eye injury or infection?

pollochuco

Hatching
Jul 13, 2016
Hello all! Sorry for the long post. I'm new on this site but my husband and I have had chickens for a little over a year now and I read posts on here all the time. A neighbor from a few blocks away just gave us 8 bantam chickens for free because she had to move to a neighborhood with an HOA that doesnt allow farm animals. There are 2 laying hens and 6 juveniles, one of which is actually a Roo! I got them just a few days ago and noticed that one of them has an eye that appeared to be partially closed and watery, and maybe a little bit swollen. The lady who had them before me had them all cooped up in this little hutch since they moved and they had no space to run around or take a dust bath. As soon as we let them into our chicken run they started scratching and pecking and were taking dust baths like crazy! They were so happy!

Anyhow, I guess my question is about the hen with the runny, partially closed eye. Shes opening it a little wider than she did when we first got her, but it still concerns me. I was hoping it was just an eye injury from the cardboard box we moved her in or maybe a pecking injury since they were so cooped up and probably bored out of their little bird brains. This morning I noticed three tiny bubbles in the watery stuff in her eye and remembered reading a thread on here about that. The answers were so diverse on that thread though and I couldnt see the pics of their hen very well so it was hard to compare photographs to see if thats maybe what my girl has.

Its clear watery nothing cloudy, no pus or white stuff, the eyeball itself looks fine, three small bubbles, no putrid smell and no other symptoms ( like coughing wheezing or runny nose (beak?) as far as i can tell. Shes acting like a regular hen, maybe a bit more mellow but is more vocal. Shes eating and drinking fine. They had crappy quality feed and their yolks are super light yellow in color so their immune systems are probably compromised. I fermented better feed with some oregano, basil, rosemary, garlic, sage, and broccoli leaves and added acv to their water to give them an immune system boost. I also mixed the fermented healthier feed with flax seed, quinoa, and chia.

They are in the chicken run and dont have direct access to my already established flock although they can see each other through the chicken wire. Im probably going to remove the hen with the funky eye to a further away location just to be safe, but should i remove the rest of the bantams as well? I dont really have a set up for that and I'd hate to have to lock them all back up in that tiny hutch without access to the ground and roosting again. What products are safe to use on chickens? Eye drops? Triple antibiotic ointment? I want to stay as natural as possible. I cant afford an avian visit or testing. I took these pics today. She can open her eye more than this, like a little over half way. I think she just closed it a little more because my camera was all up in her face. Ill try to get a better pic once my camera charges.

Also, does anybody know specifically what type of bantams these are? The one with the white head is the roo. Theyre greyish blue with reddish-brown feathers on their breast and theyre really tiny! Like the size of doves! I had no clue they were that small! So cute!

Hello all! Sorry for the long post. I'm new on this site but my husband and I have had chickens for a little over a year now and I read posts on here all the time. A neighbor from a few blocks away just gave us 8 bantam chickens for free because she had to move to a neighborhood with an HOA that doesnt allow farm animals. There are 2 laying hens and 6 juveniles, one of which is actually a Roo! I got them just a few days ago and noticed that one of them has an eye that appeared to be partially closed and watery, and maybe a little bit swollen. The lady who had them before me had them all cooped up in this little hutch since they moved and they had no space to run around or take a dust bath. As soon as we let them into our chicken run they started scratching and pecking and were taking dust baths like crazy! They were so happy!

Anyhow, I guess my question is about the hen with the runny, partially closed eye. Shes opening it a little wider than she did when we first got her, but it still concerns me. I was hoping it was just an eye injury from the cardboard box we moved her in or maybe a pecking injury since they were so cooped up and probably bored out of their little bird brains. This morning I noticed three tiny bubbles in the watery stuff in her eye and remembered reading a thread on here about that. The answers were so diverse on that thread though and I couldnt see the pics of their hen very well so it was hard to compare photographs to see if thats maybe what my girl has.

Its clear watery nothing cloudy, no pus or white stuff, the eyeball itself looks fine, three small bubbles, no putrid smell and no other symptoms ( like coughing wheezing or runny nose (beak?) as far as i can tell. Shes acting like a regular hen, maybe a bit more mellow but is more vocal. Shes eating and drinking fine. They had crappy quality feed and their yolks are super light yellow in color so their immune systems are probably compromised. I fermented better feed with some oregano, basil, rosemary, garlic, sage, and broccoli leaves and added acv to their water to give them an immune system boost. I also mixed the fermented healthier feed with flax seed, quinoa, and chia.

They are in the chicken run and dont have direct access to my already established flock although they can see each other through the chicken wire. Im probably going to remove the hen with the funky eye to a further away location just to be safe, but should i remove the rest of the bantams as well? I dont really have a set up for that and I'd hate to have to lock them all back up in that tiny hutch without access to the ground and roosting again. What products are safe to use on chickens? Eye drops? Triple antibiotic ointment? I want to stay as natural as possible. I cant afford an avian visit or testing. I took these pics today. She can open her eye more than this, like a little over half way. I think she just closed it a little more because my camera was all up in her face. Ill try to get a better pic once my camera charges.

Also, does anybody know specifically what type of bantams these are? The one with the white head is the roo. Theyre greyish blue with reddish-brown feathers on their breast and theyre really tiny! Like the size of doves! I had no clue they were that small! So cute!

Welcome to BYC.

It looks like she may have a respiratory infection called Mycoplasma (MG). You can apply Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment in the eyes. She may also need antibiotic treatment like
Tylan 50 injectable, given orally, or seek a vet's help. Tylan 50 dosage is 1 cc or ml per 5 pounds of weight, or 1/2 cc for bantams. Give it orally or as an injection into the breast muscle 1/4 inch deep.

Keep in mind most all respiratory illnesses are contagious and affected and exposed birds are considered carriers for life even when showing no symptoms.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/disea...tion-mg-chronic-respiratory-disease-chickens/
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/p...lasma_gallisepticum_infection_in_poultry.html

Darn, I was afraid of that. Do you know if offspring are infected if they have no contact with the parent bird? I was hoping that because there is a rooster that I'd get chicks and be able to sell them. I am frustrated because i thought that the lady i got them from was a reliable source. My other birds arent showing any symptoms. What would be the best way to reduce the likelihood of my existing flock getting it? Should i take out all the new bantams or just the sick one? Should i take out the bantoms and also remove the sick one from the other bantams? Also, where do you get the medicines mentioned above? Ive only had chickens for a year so ive never had to deal with anything like this. If my chickens all make it through this, is it okay to still keep them and eat their eggs if I'm not selling and giving away live birds or meat? Ive read a lot of posts of people having to cull their entire flock but they all seemed to be people who had lots of birds coming and going in one form or another. If I kept them for the rest of their lifespan and didnt add to my flock could i keep them or is their quality of life worse for having mycoplasma? So many questions!

Back
Top Bottom