BabyAndPoki

Chirping
Mar 28, 2019
Arkdale, Wisconsin
So I have female duck and a male duck (I’m in the hunt for more female ducks) and this morning my male duck was trying to mate her and grabbed the side of her face instead of the back of her head. Thankfully he didn’t rip her eye out but it does seem injured and my duck knowledge is pretty lacking so I’m worried it may be more serious than I think. As you can see in the picture, she appears to have a red tinted gunk coming out of her eye and if you zoom in you’ll she her bottom lid is red and a bit swollen. Aside from the obvious she’s doing normally and can still see. I’ve also separated her from my male duck/Goose. Is there anything I should put on it and how serious is this?
411688F1-6BEA-46F9-B837-629899D14134.jpeg

Great info @CoriM keeping your duck delayed from your drake but where they can still see each other is a good idea till you can add more females. Most feed stores carry the Terramycin eye ointment. Hopefully that will keep any infection away.
Yeah we have our barn separated for some of our younger chickens and the they can see each other through the fence! It’s also where our female goose (she’s separated for similar reasons) is so they’ll be able to keep eachother company!

That's nothing really. Definitely watch his behaviour and Ducks breed easier in a pool of water. I have a rescue Call Hen that has eye lid damage too from breeding.
I will for sure, I’m hoping next year we’ll be able to get a proper pond for them as right now they only have a frozen pool :( I’m also planning on getting some Pekin ladies for my Drake as he’s a Pekin too and my lady is a little Saxony

Having Terramycin is one med that is good to have on hand especially during breeding season. Not many of us can’t have a pool for our birds for mating right now mine seem to do fine with out it but it is nice for the girls to have water for mating. Makes it a lot easier on them.

Back
Top Bottom