EYE PROBLEM - Any information would be appreciated!

meltedcow

Chirping
Aug 16, 2019
Lakewood, Colorado
Hello!
New to BYC and looking for some advice.
I have six laying girls. They are 1 1/2 yo. About 4 weeks ago, Coconut (white brahma) had a swollen eye. Waited a few days because I thought it might be a pecking accident hoping the swelling would subside. They eye was still swollen and started treating the eye with VetRX. After about 10 days and alternating VetRX and Curicyn, the swelling and redness had mostly gone and she is opening her eye. After talking with someone at the local feed store where I received my girls as chicks, I was informed the it sounded like Marek's and I should cull (eradicate)my entire flock.
Coconut is pooping, eating, running, breathing just fine. This last month, the only problem has been her eye. The other girls are fine aside from a slight case of bumblefoot that I have address and fixed.
The man at the feed store didn't really listen to me and only heard eye problem and this was his answer.
I have attached a photo of her eye hoping someone has seen this or had experience with this. I haven't separated her because well, I haven't. The other girls aren't sick and it doesn't seem contagious.

Today, her eye is bubbling a bit and I am wondering if its a cold, bronchitis maybe?
Any thoughts would be great!

Thank for taking the time to read this!
DSC03203.JPG
DSC03204.JPG
DSC03203.JPG DSC03204.JPG

The eye looks like it might be punctured or ruptured and gone, or there could be a coating of solid gel-like material there. I think it may be due to pecking or an injury, but I believe the eye is gone, and we are seeing vitreous matter from the inside of the eye. I would put some antibiotic ointment into the eye socket twice a day to help any infection. Plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment would be good. You can also use Terramycin ointment or Vetericyn eye wash or gel from the feed store.

If you see any signs of a respiratory disease in this one or another, you might want to treat for MG (mycoplasma) with an antibiotic such as Tylan. Sorry anout your chicken.

I would report the person at the feed store who should have never told you that you had Mareks disease and to cull your flock.

The last place you should rely on for chicken advice is from a feed store. If an employee at a feed store ever offers advice again, try not to laugh hysterically and just ignore them.

I'm in full agreement with @Eggcessive that it appears to be an injury. Once the eye clouds over with an opaque film, it's blind. I think the best you can hope for is to clear up the infection with some terramycin or Neosporin as @Eggcessive suggested.

The eye looks like it might be punctured or ruptured and gone, or there could be a coating of solid gel-like material there. I think it may be due to pecking or an injury, but I believe the eye is gone, and we are seeing vitreous matter from the inside of the eye. I would put some antibiotic ointment into the eye socket twice a day to help any infection. Plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment would be good. You can also use Terramycin ointment or Vetericyn eye wash or gel from the feed store.

If you see any signs of a respiratory disease in this one or another, you might want to treat for MG (mycoplasma) with an antibiotic such as Tylan. Sorry anout your chicken.

I would report the person at the feed store who should have never told you that you had Mareks disease and to cull your flock.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond! Much appreciated!

The last place you should rely on for chicken advice is from a feed store. If an employee at a feed store ever offers advice again, try not to laugh hysterically and just ignore them.

I'm in full agreement with @Eggcessive that it appears to be an injury. Once the eye clouds over with an opaque film, it's blind. I think the best you can hope for is to clear up the infection with some terramycin or Neosporin as @Eggcessive suggested.
Thank you for reading and responding. My husband thought the same thing!

Back
Top Bottom