Eye problem.... Looks very bad!!! PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChilliPepper, Dec 15, 2015.

1. ChilliPepper

ChilliPepper New Egg

Sep 25, 2015
    Hi Everyone,
    I bought 3 chicks a couple of months back (when they were around 1 week old). Recently one of my chickens had one side of her face swollen and her beak wouldn't close properly. The swelling has decrease but now it looks like her face kind of collapsed on its self, her eye won't open properly and her beak seems to be deformed... SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME, This is the first time something serious has happened and I have had kept chicken for over 6 years.

Details about the chick:
    Name: Chloe
    Breed: We asked the seller, and the only info they gave that they were cross breeds
    Before: She was a healthy chook, was very active and playful
    Now: Struggles to drink, feed and makes weird noises

Attached are Pictures of her now:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

14 people have looked at your post so far, and no comments...I don't know what to say either! I'm posting to bump it up. Hopefully a more experienced person sees this!

Good Luck! [​IMG]

3. cornfedhogedito

cornfedhogedito Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    California USA
    Did the beak scissor like that after the left side of the birds face collapsed or did it gradually do that? Do you have any pictures of the face when swollen?

4. 1clicc

1clicc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2014
    Make sure it's not a worm eye. I would just do a drop of tylan 50 in it.

5. ChilliPepper

ChilliPepper New Egg

Sep 25, 2015
    The left side of her face was Swollen as well as the inside of her beak. Her 'mouth' began to stay open because of the swelling and After the swelling came down it began to do that...

@cornfedhogedito

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  6. cornfedhogedito

cornfedhogedito Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    California USA
    1clicc when I did that mine lost vision in the eye, it did come back about 4 days later. The color left the eye and scared the heck out of me.

ChilliPepper, Thanks for that info doesn't help me recall anything that will help but might with someone else. hopefully Eggcessive will see this and know the answer she is good! I am always reading and haven't read about this happening BUT I might not have gotten there yet!

Sorry for your troubles Hopefully we can find the answer for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by