Eye problem

cornflake2

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 15, 2015

Can anyone help ? We have a beautiful silkie that we re-homed a couple of years ago (we think she is about 4 or 5 yrs). She has always been blind in her right eye but recently her left eye looks unwell (wee piccie). Yesterday she started to wander into the electric fence and walk in circles. Today we popped a warm wet sponge on the eye and put her on Tylan. The eye opened nicely after that bath. She will drink (as long as you put the water in front of her and she has had a tiny amount of food (yogurt and porridge). Whereas before she happily found food, we're worried about her now. Any help on what this is and how to care for her much appreciated

Eye problems can often be a sign of respiratory disease in chickens. I would continue with the treatments of Tylan and cleaning the eye to keep it open. Hopefully, you will begin to see some improvements!

Welcome to BYC!

What's that lump below her eye? Probably a good time to get a baseline weight on her and monitor the amount of weight she's losing.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Thank you so much for responding.
She has now taken up temporary residence in the loo where she can have lots of Tylan fuelled water and as much to eat as I can get down her - she certainly ants to eat and drink - the bowls just need to be strategically placed to coincide with the peck! We'll give her a few days to see if the antibiotics kick in

Hi Kathy - thank you for responding - I'm so grateful. Popped her on the scales today and she weighs 715g. Despite being loyal customers to our Vet for some 30 years with dogs and cats- they (the Vets) show absolutely no interest in our chickens - it makes me so angry.

What a brilliant picture - thank you. My silkie stood like a model for her weigh in - good tip

What a brilliant picture - thank you. My silkie stood like a model for her weigh in - good tip

Most of the quieter ones will. :D If she loses weight you'll want to consider tube feeding her, which I can teach you how to do. Are you giving Tylan 50 or Tylan powder?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom