Eye swollen for weeks

InkedChicken

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2016
she has had this for weeks - started tylen 200 for couple weeks, now denegaurd. all given in water. no changes?

squeezed a couple times - thought it was a worm - but i don't see anything
now shes starting to scratch sometimes
any ideas??????????????
idunno.gif

she has had this for weeks - started tylen 200 for couple weeks, now denegaurd. all given in water. no changes?

squeezed a couple times - thought it was a worm - but i don't see anything
now shes starting to scratch sometimes
any ideas??????????????
idunno.gif
I found one of my hens had a swollen eye the day before yesterday but like you I couldn't find anything in it, no discharge or anything. So I started applying Vetricyn 3x a day and when I went to apply it this morning it looked like the swelling was just starting to go down. There's a lot of good reviews on Vetricyn Opthalmic Gel so you might want to give it a try. Tractor Supply and a lot of feed stores carry it.

This stuff works really good. We use it all the time when any of our animals get hurt. You can put it right in the eye and around.
It is not the cheapest but it works.

That looks like a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma (MG) or coryza. There is usually solid pus in that swollen sinus, that needs to be removed. Is there a bad odor about her face? What color are her nasal secretions? The Vetericyn is good for eyes, but the eye should be cleaned with saline and warm compresses. Terramycin eye ointment is also good to use instead of Vetericyn. There are several good threads about removing pus from the eyes. What dosage of Tylan were you using? Is she coughing or wheezing?

Last edited:
That looks like a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma (MG) or coryza. There is usually solid pus in that swollen sinus, that needs to be removed. Is there a bad odor about her face? What color are her nasal secretions? The Vetericyn is good for eyes, but the eye should be cleaned with saline and warm compresses. Terramycin eye ointment is also good to use instead of Vetericyn. There are several good threads about removing pus from the eyes. What dosage of Tylan were you using? Is she coughing or wheezing?

x2.Tylan should clear up secondary infections.Keep her isolated in the most stress free environment as possible.Most respiratory disease's will come back in times of stress so she will be a carrier for life.Also to add what do you mean all given in water?Tylan should be given orally.

1/2cc once a day for five days.

Last edited:
Yes I agree use what (the phantom) said my hen the same thing be tryed Tylan it didn't work then we tried that it worked

Back
Top Bottom