Eye Swollen Shut, multiple chickens affected, help!!

Lisa-Lu

Songster
Feb 14, 2019
Southwest Virginia
I have a 3 month old dominique pullet. I have had her over a month along with a group of 8 others the same age but all different breeds. There are 16 total in the coop and run that she is in.

They all are fed starter grower crumble, occasional mealworm treats.

She occasionally sneezes, not very often. But so does an older dominque I have. I just assumed it was part of their breed.

Yesterday evening noticed one of her eyes is swollen shut. From researching I wiped it gently with a warm cloth and put coconut oil on it. She cried when I touched it.

She is still walking around and eating well.

What more can I do for her and what causes this?

I also have a polish the same age that is acting lethargic. These may be 2 seperate issues, but just adding it.

3 month old dominique pullet. I have had her over a month along with a group of 8 others the same age but all different breeds.

She occasionally sneezes, not very often. But so does an older dominque I have. I just assumed it was part of their breed.

Yesterday evening noticed one of her eyes is swollen shut. From researching I wiped it gently with a warm cloth and put coconut oil on it. She cried when I touched it.

I also have a polish the same age that is acting lethargic. These may be 2 seperate issues, but just adding it.
Can you post some photos of the Dominique?
Any mucous when she sneezes?
General eye care is to flush with saline, remove any pus/discharge and apply an eye ointment like Terramycin. You can also use plain Neosporin. I would not use coconut oil in the eye.

The Polish, how old and how long have you had her? Photos of the poop?

I will get some pics when I go check on her at lunch. No mucous or anything like she has a cold or anything respiratory. there is no discharge or watering of the eye at all. Its very dry looking. I will go get saline and terramycin as well.

The polish is the same age, she just started acting this way last night so I havent had a chance to watch her or see her poop yet.

I will update with more details and pics in a while.

has she gotten any eye injuries? I had one of my female mallards get accidentally poked in the eye by one of my males during mating, and her eye was swollen as well. Did she get pecked? :confused:

It's more swollen now, I dont see any injury? Here are pics of the swollen eye and her normal one.

20190827_124646.jpg 20190827_124656.jpg 20190827_124708.jpg

Back
Top Bottom