Eye that is aggrivated- cloudy?

melloladies

Songster
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Merritt Island
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Spooky is a silkie, at about POL- weight seems fine
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
she turns circles sometimes
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
? Not sure- previous owner knew of and treated the eye problem and it was improving when I got her
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
nope
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
she has oddly flaky skin- and I can almost see something under her lower lid- I thought I got it out but it looks like a growth maybe?! Anyhow- at first I thought she got a skin flake in her eye.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
yes
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
flush eye twice daily with saline water, then treat with blue gel (vetri-something?)
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Would love to treat myself.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

Nevermind the sand stuck on her beak. but in the second pic you can kinda see the skin near her feathers looks super dry... not sure what that is about.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
pine shavings, sand in run

Thanks for any help or ideas!

If it's just one eye apply Terramicyn Eye ointment every other day. I'm having the same problem with one of my silkies and she is improving. If it's in both eyes it may be another problem.

It's just the one eye, thanks. Chicken Doctor said it looks like a bacterial infection and recommended several things including a dif optic drop (which he sells of course) vetRx, and Tylan. I was wondering if it couldn't be eye worm? I've got the stuff to deal with that already.

I'd definitely apply some sort of antibiotic to the eye asap. My hen had a tick attached right below her eye and it sucked her eye in where it actually looked like an empty socket with blood and puss. I removed the tick, used the antibiotic eye ointment and within a week her eye was completely normal. That was 2 months ago. Her eye looked bad again last week but I couldn't see or feel a tick. I used the terrimycin ointment every other day and her eye is looking much better. I gave her a little Durramicyn in her water also. She's almost back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom