Eyes Matting Shut - 3 days old

kcpanda

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
I just recieved my baby chicks, gave them the electroyltes with vitamins in their water, also the grow gel. I have lost one already and several have their eyes matting shut. Any solution? Cause? etc???

Thanks

please describe your set-up, and what temperature you're keeping them at.
what are feeding?
are they drinking?
make sure they are drinking by dipping beak in water..(avoid the getting water in the nostrils)

please describe the droppings..color and consistency.
loose? any red or pink? pasty tan?

could be a respiratory illness..or conjunctivitis.
will wait for your reply.

in the meantime..wash the eyes with warm water, or saline eye drops. (available at pharmacies)
apply antibiotic eye drops, or light application of polysporin around the eyes.

maybe some terramycin might help..(unless they have cocci)

I have been washing them with saline solution, they seem to be eating and drinking fine. They are in an enclosed brooder box with the temp just above 90 degree. They are eating chick starter 18%, and their poop is blackish/white/with a little water appears normal from the chicks I got a year ago. I do have some antibotic that can be added to the water. would it be added at the same rate as for the adult chickens? the package doesn't say. There were less this morning than yesterday morning with the matting. Thanks for all the replies!

what antibiotic is it?

please read package for brand name and size of package.

usually it is at the same rate, but maybe a little less would be safer.

others might have opinions.

I just learned think trick for a 1 week old kitten I have. He has an eye infection, and this is before his eyes were open, the poor things eyes, or eyelids, swelled up like they had marbles in there then popped. The vet couldn't do anything for him, but my sister found a site on the internet that said after you clean the eyes, put a drop of cod liver oil in the eyes. It is suppose to help with the infection, but also seems to keep then from crusting up and sticking. I checked the kitten this morning and hi eyes were almost crust free.

Thanks again for the information. The antibiotic I have is the one you had mentioned. terramycin. I will add some to the water. It would probably be a good safe gaurd for all of them!

Back
Top Bottom