Eyes Swollen shut/ mucus in both nostrils/ raspy breathing thru mouth

Y’all I’m literally making a list of who gets shots and and who needs other meds every day….according to who was easy and who was crazy psycho chickens when I tried lol and O My Goodness I’m EXHAUSTED but PERSEVERING…..so jus wanted to share my “makeshift animal hospital list” lol…I’m getting it done…all my myself slowly but surely…. And MAN it’s a lot harder than I thought but me and my babies are getting a routine although some aren’t as cooperative at first..but I’m just proud that I’m getting it done🙂 and thanks again for all the help and encouragement along the way cuz I’m getting birds better and back to the flock everyday thanks to all the help and info that’s been amazing❤️❤️❤️
Oh and I’ve got a 8 day old wild pig my hubs brought home also so that’s the piggy on the list lol and piggy “cracklin” is fine and in his own kennel away from everybody else cuz I dang sure don’t want any viruses or infection’s happening and I sanitize or wash my hands between interacting with anybody!! So I’m keeping it and clean and sterile as I can 🤷🏼‍♀…anytime I’m done with a chicken I wash hands and put a new pup pad down and get new cloths for any interactions…I’ve washed a million loads of towels and rags in the last week and gone thru 4 jugs off laundry soap so I’m TRYING to keep everything as sterile as possible and my TYLOSIN powder is going to be here tomorrow for the rest of the flocks waterers🙂

Ok so can anybody tell me the best method to administer the safeguard paste for deworming? I’m completely clueless…I’ve gone thru some threads but am still confused on dosage, and how to give it since it’s the paste not the liquid? Can I just smudge the paste in their lil chicken beak and they do the rest? And what about dosage cuz I’ve got some chickens that are about 3 pounds, some that are 4-5 and then a few that are 7-8 maybe 10 pounds so any help is much appreciated….after treating everybody forthe MG and CRD I’ve also discovered worms from a few so I want to treat my whole flock, and I’ve also got a Tom Turkey and his 3 Hens so is the safeguard ok to use on the Turkeys too??

SafeGuard paste dosage is the same as the liquid goat wormer—1/4 ml per pound given for 5 consecutive days. That will treat most all worms (round worms, cecal worms, capillary worms and gapeworms) except for tapeworms. If you just give it once and again in 10 days, that will treat round worms only.

Ok so
SafeGuard paste dosage is the same as the liquid goat wormer—1/4 ml per pound given for 5 consecutive days. That will treat most all worms (round worms, cecal worms, capillary worms and gapeworms) except for tapeworms. If you just give it once and again in 10 days, that will treat round worms only.
do I just smudge the paste in their mouth and let them swallow it down that way?

It is more accurate to put it inside the beak from a syringe, which most feed stores and pharmacies have. Remove the needle draw up the paste, pull down on wattles place wormer inside beak, and release wattles to swallow. Only give 1/2 ml each time before they swallow, or they can choke.

It is more accurate to put it inside the beak from a syringe, which most feed stores and pharmacies have. Remove the needle draw up the paste, pull down on wattles place wormer inside beak, and release wattles to swallow. Only give 1/2 ml each time before they swallow, or they can choke.
Oooookkkkk I was thinking it was way to think to do that which was making me so confused so THANK YOU for breaking it down so easy for my nitwit self😂I read so much about dabbing it in their beak or using a syringe my eyes were starting to cross and I still had no clue whether I could draw up the paste or not:caf Thank you again you’ve been such an awesome help these last few days:love

So our chicken vet clinic is closed☹️ all the way to Monday and DONT WORRY the only needle im sticking anywhere is to give the tylan injection, I’ve gotten him started on tylan 50, have been flushing both eyes with saline solution and also have eye ointment im putting in several or more times a day and also using a nasal bulb to suck the mucus out every hour or 2 or basically just when he needs it, Today his swelling has decreased by half and he’s got both eyes open…rattling is wayyyy better than it was yesterday and he actually let me get some flavorless pedialyte in him🙂 Major improvement from yesterday and the day before. Also have another young roo and hen that started showing the same signs( a lil swollen on one eye) so I’ve alrdy given them a dose of the tylan as well, flushed with saline and applied eye ointment so I hope to nip this in the bud. I’ve only had 1 other Roo a few years ago get sick like this so now that it seems to be spreading I’m in a panic but have the 3 sick babies all quaritined. In dog kennels in my house. We’ve got a lot of cold / wet rainy weather happening in South Ar right now so I’m assuming they definitely don’t need to be out in the rain or even in the dampness outside. I’ve cleaned all 3 of my coops and replaced all bedding with new bedding, so Hopefully I can manage until our vet opens back up Monday. Surely since my Donald Roo has improved so much then I’m doing something right, lord I hope. This is all brand new for me😬 but I love love LOVE my birds and if he gets worse I’ll be making an emergency trip to vet over an hour away. That’s the only vet close that specializes in chickens/turkeys/ etc…but any other suggestions or anything are very much appreciated yall, and thank y’all so much for helping 🙂 thank you!!!
Tylan works great..glad he’s on the mend☺️

Back
Top Bottom