Eyes Swollen shut/ mucus in both nostrils/ raspy breathing thru mouth

I see that explanation of meds "hiding" symptoms a lot, but I don't think that's very clear or accurate, mostly because it makes it sound like antibiotics can't save a bird's life which they definitely can. From what I've read, the antibiotics we use to treat the bacteria that cause mycoplasma inhibit the bacteria's ability to multiply, which keeps chicken's immune system from being overwhelmed and allow them to recover from the infection and their symptoms. However since the antibiotics cannot kill mycoplasma bacteria, some seems to remain, usually kept in check by their immune systems so they don't appear sick, but able to make a comeback if stress or some other factor upsets the status quo in their bodies.
Ok I’ve had 34 happy Healthy hens and their 2 Roos, and just recently kept a younger roo from a clutch one of my girls had but everybody else had been here a WHILE for over 3 years with NO PROBLEMS EVER other than being sassy and spoiled, several have had 2 clutches of biddys the last year also and just hang out and “chicken” all day😂🥰 and then there’s my few hens that just don’t care anything about having babies and can care less about a rooster lol which is fine too cuz I love them all so much and they all have their pecking order in place and they all seem to get along great. And they keep my day filled with laughs since this lil funny farm is my day job basically lol, my husband is always out of town at work so I POUR my EVERYTHING into making these birds comfortable, healthy, and happy! I clean coops once a week, put electrolytes and vitamins in their water, and make sure to give treats to help boost their immune system as well and make sure everybody is mite free and just happy and healthy or so I thought, so I’m devastated about this outbreak. And because I’ve never had to deal with anything like this either 🤷🏼‍♀️ y’all this was NOT in the initial contract when I decided to get chickens a few years ago lol and I guess I’ve just been extremely lucky to not ever have any problems at all for so long 🤦🏼‍♀️ so I’m just lost. But I’m doing everything I can, and everybody I’ve got in quarantine is going to the Vet n morn, they were swamped today after being closed for 5 days, so we have an 8am appt so I hope I can get better diagnosis for sure and details, etc. and dear lord I hope it’s going to be a good vet visit after the meds and ointment, and saline flushes etc. I’ve got high hopes ❤️ I’m an optimist. So I hope it works in my sweet babies favor❤️ I love these birds yall

I think your whole flock should be considered carriers (unless the sick ones are only the new ones and none of the new ones have mixed with your old flock yet, in which case your old flock *might* be ok). My girls got sick after a friend who also raises chickens came to fix our backyard fence... He had been working in his yard, came to mine without changing clothes and boots and only told me after that he had been dealing with sick hens 🤦‍♀️. I personally don't see a reason to cull if you're not in the business of selling birds. Sounds like you take excellent care of your birds so they are unlikely to be continually relapsing, and there few guarantees that your next flock will disease free forever. Just be careful about visits with any other chicken people 🙂

Just close your flock to any new birds. The disease may have been brought into the flock recently if you added new birds. They can come into the flock looking normal, but they may carry the respiratory disease. Most respiratory diseases can show up after being exposed to them within 6-10 days or longer. No need to cull the flock. Some people do cull the sickest birds. Getting a necropsy through the state vet or getting testing through them may give you answers as to what they have.

Even tho the hens I just got have no symptoms does that mean they’re carriers and they can still spread it? Even tho they all seem perfectly fine and have no symptoms at all?
Yes they would be carriers even if they never show symptoms. It usually effects the weaker breeds or ones prone to stress

I think your whole flock should be considered carriers (unless the sick ones are only the new ones and none of the new ones have mixed with your old flock yet, in which case your old flock *might* be ok). My girls got sick after a friend who also raises chickens came to fix our backyard fence... He had been working in his yard, came to mine without changing clothes and boots and only told me after that he had been dealing with sick hens 🤦‍♀️. I personally don't see a reason to cull if you're not in the business of selling birds. Sounds like you take excellent care of your birds so they are unlikely to be continually relapsing, and there few guarantees that your next flock will disease free forever. Just be careful about visits with any other chicken people 🙂
Thank you, as of this morning nobody else is showing symptoms anywhere so it’s only the 3 Roos, and 3 hens, and my mai Roo that started this is outside in a holding pen cuz he shot out of his kennel like a rocket yesterday and there’s no swelling or draining, I know he ls weak so I’m hoping him being out n the pen able to atleast be n the yard might help him get back to normal and eat more …1 hen has 0 symptons showing this morn so I’m putting her n the rehab pen with her Roo also, still have. A roo with minimal swelling gonna doctor on him and the other hens that look about the same(minimal swelling on 1 side but hardly any drainage. So I HOPE HOPE this isn’t going any farther than these. Like I said I’m an Optimist and really OCD lol so my cleaning, disinfecting/ changing feeders and waterers and bedding has been in OVERDRIVE for these last few days😂🥰:weeI’m trying so very hard and I’ve LEARNED so much so hopefully I’m better prepared if anything like this comes up and NO NEW BIRDS AT ALLLLL For a long while:thumbsup

Ok so this is probably a dumb self explanatory question but do I need the TYLOSIN soluble powder or rhe TYLAN powder for my flocks waterers to help with preventative maintenance to Hopefully keep everybody from getting this mess so bad? Cuz I’ve got my local vet that’s ready to fill the prescription for Either I just need to make sure I’m ordering the right thing? My vet in my city does not specialize in poultry so I have to drive over an hour away for an actual avian vet but my local vet is a good friend and said whatever I need she’s gonna help cuz she wants to learn more too 💔 so she can help more mainly for me im sure cuz i call her all the time lol an she said she may as well get better educated since all she sees here are horses and cattle etc. there’s not a lot of chicken people that go to her since she predominantly sees other animals where we live…but somebody andybidy pleaee give me a pic description the exact thing that would help in ur opinion …on a side note I had 2 birds that went back out into the yard today/for a lil bit while I was in the yard for about 5 hours and then I put them in a holding pen/coop just for them/ in case they didn’t feel 100% and I don’t want anybody messing with them if I’m not actually out there In the yard / and I have a sick teenager with a stomach virus to at had to got to doc today// but I like to be outside 5-7 hours a day usually cuz I’m just and outside person anyways and there’s alway stuff to do out in the country but mainly to intervene right now and make sure everyone is ok and no spats and I don’t want any of them stressing so the birds that are gettin over this mess are all cooped together just them. So I’m praying for more positive results as it goes . Again….I’m an optimist. :celebrate

Ok so this is probably a dumb self explanatory question but do I need the TYLOSIN soluble powder or rhe TYLAN powder for my flocks waterers to help with preventative maintenance to Hopefully keep everybody from getting this mess so bad?
They are exactly the same. Tylan is brand name, tylosin generic.

1669782892685.png
1669782869646.png

Glad to hear everyone is on the mend. If no one else starts showing symptoms in the next day or two you might not even need the powder, though it's nice to have something on hand in case of emergencies.

J
They are exactly the same. Tylan is brand name, tylosin generic.

View attachment 3336816View attachment 3336815

Glad to hear everyone is on the mend. If no one else starts showing symptoms in the next day or two you might not even need the powder, though it's nice to have something on hand in case of emergencies.
Jusy wanted to share a Pic of My Don Juan Roo now that he seems to be feeling much better, he’s back n the yard and eating and drinking just fine…taking it easy but I’m still just so grateful he pulled thru cuz he was sooo very sick …or maybe I’m just a lil over dramatic and didn’t know what in the world to do😂 but he’s so much better❤️❤️

Attachments

• DF3EE1D5-2815-4469-8F49-4215D5BBCD96.jpeg
    DF3EE1D5-2815-4469-8F49-4215D5BBCD96.jpeg
    597.8 KB · Views: 7
Y’all I’m literally making a list of who gets shots and and who needs other meds every day….according to who was easy and who was crazy psycho chickens when I tried lol and O My Goodness I’m EXHAUSTED but PERSEVERING…..so jus wanted to share my “makeshift animal hospital list” lol…I’m getting it done…all my myself slowly but surely…. And MAN it’s a lot harder than I thought but me and my babies are getting a routine although some aren’t as cooperative at first..but I’m just proud that I’m getting it done🙂 and thanks again for all the help and encouragement along the way cuz I’m getting birds better and back to the flock everyday thanks to all the help and info that’s been amazing❤️❤️❤️

Attachments

• E79FEDD0-6C8D-449B-9968-14ECC97D7FCC.png
    E79FEDD0-6C8D-449B-9968-14ECC97D7FCC.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom