Eyes swollen shut, scabs

Hello there!
I'm in 4-H, and at the farm I go to work with my animal at they have a flock of about fifteen hens and a rooster. Yesterday myself and another 4-Her, who handles and has raised this hen, found her with her eyes completely scanned over and swollen shut. Her ears also appear scabbed and possibly clogged. The rest of the flock is absolutely normal, and none if them have had constanct with any outside birds for at least a year. There is a problem with scaly leg mites in the flock, could that have anything to do with it?
Here are some pictures:

She is a small, friendly bantam hen and is about four years old. She's currently in quarantine at the 4-Her's house, and will be dusted for mites and given antibiotics, vitamins and electrolytes soon (which I have to a lethargic bird who wouldn't eat, and he pulled through wonderfully). Any advice? Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? I texted a vet who said it could be fungal, bacterial, or from parasites.
I know this thread is mega old… but what came if this? I have a small bantam (4months old) going through this. He’s been under veterinarian care, but hasn’t improved in over a month.

Looking back at the original picture on this very old thread, it looks like scaly face mites to me. Favus, a fungus can look similar. Both can be contagious to other flock members. The best way to get a diagnosis is with a skin scraping by a vet to look for mites or fungus under a microscope. Scaly mites can be treated with vaseline to smother the mites, and a miteacide, such as ivermectin and others. Favus, a fungal infection, can be treated with miconazole, clotrimazole, and other antibfungals used daily.

Back
Top Bottom