EYP hen going into nesting box??

guest226

Chirping
Nov 18, 2023
My buff cochin with potential EYP is going into the nesting box to lay an egg after she goes out into the run every morning, to eat and hang out.

She has been squawking quite loudly. Other than her belly she seems kind of okay?

What does this new behavior mean? Is it that she is trying to lay an egg but won’t be able to?

yeah, I know i've posted several questions. I was just wondering why she would suddenly go into the nesting box and come back out without laying anything. I also wanted to know if I should give her that injection at the vet.

She is a pet chicken and I'm afraid of losing her. I've been working on her with pills and antiseptics and probiotics for about a month now.

Hens do all sorts of things, she may be feeling as if she's needing to lay an egg or going into a nesting box may just be a routine that she has - something "normal". She may be comfy in the box for a little while - not sure why she's doing it, but if she's o.k. then I'd just let her do her hen thing.

I did not read all the threads you have made, there's quite a few. Not sure what injection you are asking about, is it a Suprelorin injection to stop ovulation?

While this can be helpful and may extend life for a period of time, there's no cure for EYP or other reproductive disorders. Sadly, at some point, a hen will succumb to one of these conditions or to something like old age, hard to know.

I understand she's special to you and you are doing all you can for her. Do consider her quality of life as well, if she's able to get around now and interact with her flock and do hen things, then she will be most happy doing that instead of being separated out for ongoing treatment all the time.

Hens do all sorts of things, she may be feeling as if she's needing to lay an egg or going into a nesting box may just be a routine that she has - something "normal". She may be comfy in the box for a little while - not sure why she's doing it, but if she's o.k. then I'd just let her do her hen thing.

I did not read all the threads you have made, there's quite a few. Not sure what injection you are asking about, is it a Suprelorin injection to stop ovulation?

While this can be helpful and may extend life for a period of time, there's no cure for EYP or other reproductive disorders. Sadly, at some point, a hen will succumb to one of these conditions or to something like old age, hard to know.

I understand she's special to you and you are doing all you can for her. Do consider her quality of life as well, if she's able to get around now and interact with her flock and do hen things, then she will be most happy doing that instead of being separated out for ongoing treatment all the time.
yeah, the injection is to stop laying so her condition does not get worse. Do you know around how much more time I can expect from her? I started treatment before she was acting a little off so hopefully that increased my chances. It seemed like her body was resistant to antibiotics though.

Shes happy with her chicken friends. It just makes me sad that I'll have to witness her eventual decline. She gets pulled aside from the run to get treated every 3-4 days.

Update: She laid an egg today. It was normal and had a nice hard shell. It was a little smaller than usual but otherwise completely fine. It did take her about 2.5 hours to lay though. What does this mean?

Update: She laid an egg today. It was normal and had a nice hard shell. It was a little smaller than usual but otherwise completely fine. It did take her about 2.5 hours to lay though. What does this mean?

Well it’s a good sign if she can actually lay a proper egg. If you have access to vet care I would recommend getting the suprelorin implant for her. At the least it gives their reproductive system a break, reduces that chronic inflammation and can provide a reset.

And then draining any fluid build-up from the EYP as well as a course of antibiotics if she actually has an infection. Sometimes a course of anti-inflammatories is good as well.

The implant can last for as long as six months in some hens and can be repeated although over time it does lose its efficacy. So if you are prepared to give her the implant as often as she needs it then you may have her for a long time yet.

Well it’s a good sign if she can actually lay a proper egg. If you have access to vet care I would recommend getting the suprelorin implant for her. At the least it gives their reproductive system a break, reduces that chronic inflammation and can provide a reset.

And then draining any fluid build-up from the EYP as well as a course of antibiotics if she actually has an infection. Sometimes a course of anti-inflammatories is good as well.

The implant can last for as long as six months in some hens and can be repeated although over time it does lose its efficacy. So if you are prepared to give her the implant as often as she needs it then you may have her for a long time yet.
Ok, got it. I still have my suspisions that she doesn't actually have the condition, and it's just her breed that gives her the belly. However I'm not completely sure, since she was acting off.

If she continues to lay eggs just fine, should I just assume she doesn't have anything?

I'm glad she was able to lay an egg today, that's good!

It's very hard to know if she does have EYP or something else going on. All you can do is use the information your vet gave you. Did they perform and Xray or ultrasound and see material in the abdomen or?

A hen can lay eggs, even when they have a reproductive problem like EYP. What you feel and see may be fat or some fluid, again it's really hard to know unless you lose them and perform a necropsy.

I'm glad she was able to lay an egg today, that's good!

It's very hard to know if she does have EYP or something else going on. All you can do is use the information your vet gave you. Did they perform and Xray or ultrasound and see material in the abdomen or?

A hen can lay eggs, even when they have a reproductive problem like EYP. What you feel and see may be fat or some fluid, again it's really hard to know unless you lose them and perform a necropsy.
They did an ultrasound and told me there was no fluid, but didn’t tell me if they found material or anything else. I’m going in again for a checkup in a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom