EYP or Internal Laying Nesting Box

ANiceKaren

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
Frazier Park California
Hi friends.. I have a 3 year old with what I’m guessing is EYP or Internal laying. I’ve seen this before. I’m giving her antibiotics (amox) and calicum and she has pushed out some soft deflated twisted type eggs. (4 days ago) nothing since. My question is.. why does she go into laying box every night to sleep now? She used to sleep on a roost but since this issue developed she comes in from free ranging.. eats a bit then up to nesting box. She used to lay daily…. Could be feeling like she needs to lay? Does going into the run remind her of laying and she misses that? I know this isn’t a good prognosis but during the day she free ranges all day, eats, and drinks and quality of life is good. I’m prepared to end it if she begins to suffer 😭 I’m very curious about the nesting box!

Likely it's more comfortable than roosting.

When I have a hen that has reproductive problems they eventually stop roosting and choose to sleep on the floor or in a nesting box.
My best guess upon further examination (necropsy) is that pressure/swelling, etc. makes it's uncomfortable to properly roost.

Back
Top Bottom