EZ Frame Chicken Coop Build

Pics
Well I have been delayed making anymore real progress thanks to shipping errors :(

My black hardware cloth I ordered from Lowe's arrived yesterday and I was so excited to finally get started and opened the box and it was NOT black. I thought about keeping it and just painting it with Flexseal, but opted to return it and order from Amazon. Flexseal is pricey. I was very disappointed! So the new cloth is due to arrive tomorrow, so fingers crossed.

I also ordered a feeder that you can fill from the outside, but feeds on the inside if you put a hole in the wall and it holds 50 lbs of crumble! BUT the sent me the normal one that needs to be installed inside the coop instead. Soooo, now I have to wait for that too! Sigh haha. They got back to me right away and are sending me the right one, but it's just a bummer. On the upside, I think it's going to work out perfect when I get the right one. It's so big, my plan is to split it between both sides of the Cooplex. I tested it out since I have it here with one of my d’Anvers and it seems plenty big enough on each side for the size and amount of birds I’ll have in each side of the coop. I am also going to paint the lid black and body gold so it matches my color scheme. :D It’s very sturdy!

View attachment 3380949

My nest boxes are finished drying and I think they look awesome.

View attachment 3380958

While waiting for the next step I tried my hand at a window prototype and I decided I’m not quite ready for window building! 😆 The typical small windows for coops are too big for my coop, so I have to come up with something myself. The glue was messy, my cuts were slightly off because I don't have fancy tools, and everything looked crooked :lau . So I was trying to come up with another idea that would allow me to close the window in winter and keep it open all summer to increase ventilation. I think I’ve come up with an idea that might work! I had some picture frames from IKEA that I never used and totally forgot about till perusing the IKEA website for inspiration, and they just might work!
View attachment 3380962
View attachment 3380965
It has this inner square frame that holds the glass in place and creates depth. So I bought some small hinges and I’m going to try using the outer frame with the glass glued in as the glass window, and add a hinge to secure to the siding. Then I will attach hardware cloth inside the siding. So I’m spray painting the frame gold and then gluing in the glass with the clear adhesive. Fingers crossed this works! I’m gonna use the inner frame as the frame to close the window onto for more stability. We shall see how it comes together. If nothing else I will do the hardware cloth first and solve the window covering later. We will be out of the bad weather really soon I’m guessing.

Tonight I will finish up all the painting for the siding so it's ready to be cut by tomorrow or Sunday! Tomorrow we will be adding the legs to the floor and the base to the floor so the frame can be secured entirely and we can get final measurements for the siding! I'm hoping that we will have a bunch done by the end of the weekend. :)
Love what your doing! The two sided feeder, the window idea.... wonderful!
You're going to have a gorgeous and good coop when you're done!

Today has been busy! This whole week has been actually! I decided since we have been slowed down due to weather AGAIN, that I would use the scraps and make another coop!

Despite the rain, we were able to add the rest of the studs, dividing wall, all the roost bars, and the clear coat for my accent wall and my finished door!

54DEEBF2-4FF9-42CA-BAD1-A67F7711BA79.jpeg

1546471C-558F-4A08-949A-16392C5B78A6.jpeg

D1DC05A0-60BE-4913-9CCA-4B278C8B2624.jpeg

1CBA3C0C-195C-4A6F-9146-4727D3C7DCA7.jpeg

The scraps coop is made up as I go along haha. I had two pieces of plywood, a few extra 2x2s, extra metal roof panels, and some hardware cloth. So just to add to the chaos, I built the frame on Monday and am about 1/2 way done building it!

B26AFC79-9A66-4927-85B9-B44E9CE9630F.jpeg

5162453D-A6A7-4952-A94D-919623DB66BB.jpeg

60DA9B10-D4BE-4E9D-91FE-004252EF3762.jpeg

Any tips on making sure cheap-oh wallpaper stay nice? I’m in love with it! And plan to paint the outside soft yellow and the inside walls a vintage rose color :) Tomorrow the flooring goes in and the roost bars go in!

Attachments

• EB9AA7C6-E8B3-4722-9B46-3B4388134BC4.jpeg
    EB9AA7C6-E8B3-4722-9B46-3B4388134BC4.jpeg
    720.3 KB · Views: 5
The scraps coop is made up as I go along haha. I had two pieces of plywood, a few extra 2x2s, extra metal roof panels, and some hardware cloth. So just to add to the chaos, I built the frame on Monday and am about 1/2 way done building it!

View attachment 3396063
View attachment 3396068
View attachment 3396069
Any tips on making sure cheap-oh wallpaper stay nice? I’m in love with it! And plan to paint the outside soft yellow and the inside walls a vintage rose color :) Tomorrow the flooring goes in and the roost bars go in!
You're Genius!!! THIS is like the one I need to do to add on to my big coop as a lean-to!
Thanks Kurbs!!!
Ya wanna fly out here n gettherdone?! Lolol

Too cool and nice work! I would use some small trim, like quarter-round, and nail it up to the perimeter of the wallpaper. Follow that with a quick coat or 2 of some Thompson's WaterSeal and I bet it will last at decade.

The Thompson's WaterSeal is good stuff, just do like Phizer and utilize everything for 'off-label' use. Seriously though I have used it as an experiment to coat over some old chalky paint and it restored the color and caused water to bead off like car wax.

Today has been busy! This whole week has been actually! I decided since we have been slowed down due to weather AGAIN, that I would use the scraps and make another coop!

Despite the rain, we were able to add the rest of the studs, dividing wall, all the roost bars, and the clear coat for my accent wall and my finished door!

View attachment 3396060
View attachment 3396061
View attachment 3396062
View attachment 3396064

View attachment 3396063
View attachment 3396068
View attachment 3396069
Looks good!!

Made a tiny bit more progress today…mostly painting and hardware cloth. It was 60 and sunny today was felt glorious so I wasted time hanging with my chickens! 😍

I also got the floor in on my scraps coop! It’s shoddy but will do the job! Cuts could be better, but my patience is thin 😆 I need the chickens out of my house! 🤪

Attachments

• 9865558C-AB5E-4813-B90F-730C014BB861.jpeg
    9865558C-AB5E-4813-B90F-730C014BB861.jpeg
    597.2 KB · Views: 4
  • DC0A333D-9EA5-4D51-A594-EB8D88B6E423.jpeg
    DC0A333D-9EA5-4D51-A594-EB8D88B6E423.jpeg
    555.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 8E3B5D01-F9B4-4785-BE7D-5332007F2E75.jpeg
    8E3B5D01-F9B4-4785-BE7D-5332007F2E75.jpeg
    604.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 1E6287A0-E02E-4490-BA80-5FF2D43ECE04.jpeg
    1E6287A0-E02E-4490-BA80-5FF2D43ECE04.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Made a tiny bit more progress today…mostly painting and hardware cloth. It was 60 and sunny today was felt glorious so I wasted time hanging with my chickens! 😍

I also got the floor in on my scraps coop! It’s shoddy but will do the job! Cuts could be better, but my patience is thin 😆 I need the chickens out of my house! 🤪
I may have missed it...what did u use for the flooring in the scrap coops?

Oh n your babies!!! Luv em!

I may have missed it...what did u use for the flooring in the scrap coops?

Oh n your babies!!! Luv em!
Super cheap peel and stick vinyl from Amazon. It’s thinner and you can cut it down with scissors but it was actually a lot easier to install than the nicer panels from Lowe’s :-D

Peel and Stick Floor Tile, Vinyl Plank Flooring, Natural Wood Look, Self Adhesive Durable and Waterproof for Transfer Bedroom, Kitchen, RV, Bathroom and Living Room, 35in×6in,(10 PCS) https://a.co/d/3Zikvqi

Back
Top Bottom