EZ Plucker

I was looking to get the EZ-151 or EZ-188 along with the scald pot and burner they offer. Haven't decided on which unit, and although I've looked at the specs, there really doesn't seem to be much difference between the two for the difference in money. I am looking at raising about a dozen ducks also which may play into my decision on which plucker to get.

Although I'm using this for my Freedom Rangers as the first batch on this new equipment, I am leaning towards some ducks down the road and thus the reason for this post. For those of you who have done ducks in the past, which EZ plucker did you use on your ducks? Did it work satisfactorily?

I'm also reading about having to use some duck wax for the pin feathers. When said and done, was the extra effort of using wax and possibly having to go to a bigger EZ Plucker just to do ducks worth all the effort?

If any of you kind folks could share your duck raising experiences, that would be a great help in my decision making.

I'm in the same boat, considering an EZ-188 for my Muscovy ducks. I am planning on processing about 20-25 (mostly drakes) every 3-4 months and possibly renting the unit out to friends for their processing days also.

rysmithjr, although we went with the 151 over the 188, we have not regretted that decision in the least. We processed 16 of the large Cornish X chickens without any major problems. The ducks will be done in the next week I'll guess. Three chickens at a time for about 8 seconds is all that is needed to produce a bird as naked as a baby's butt! The only recommendation I'd make is to rinse out the plucker without any birds in it between batches. We did several batches employing the garden hose on each batch, but still there was a build-up of feathers around the clean-out preventing the turning of the bottom plate of fingers. The simple fix was to reach up and pull out the mass of feathers and then apply a good spray of water while running the plucker. This did a good job of unclogging the feathers and putting us back into business. Perhaps we had low hose pressure to begin with.

Well....plucker ended up damaging more birds than i care to think about. Alot of broken legs and wings.... Ok for home use but not presentable for sale. I feel like it spins too fast. I am not knocking its ability to pluck because it definately did that. But leg bones poking through the skin and disjointed and broken wings to me are unacceptable

Well....plucker ended up damaging more birds than i care to think about. Alot of broken legs and wings.... Ok for home use but not presentable for sale. I feel like it spins too fast. I am not knocking its ability to pluck because it definately did that. But leg bones poking through the skin and disjointed and broken wings to me are unacceptable

We talked about that earlier in this thread. The larger pluckers need several birds at a time. One bird spins too fast. We have a EZ-188 and I do 4 layer hens at time or 2-3 broilers. With a good scald they should be done in less than ten seconds, don't overdo it trying to get it to pluck a bad scald.

Great thread! After reading this I'm ordering the EZ188.Plus, I'm able to get 4 knifes, 8 cones and a pair of gloves with shipping for less than the Featherman Gamebird plucker. I might splurge on the Featherman Scalder if I can't find a good gas scalder chearper. Any suggestions?

Great thread! After reading this I'm ordering the EZ188.Plus, I'm able to get 4 knifes, 8 cones and a pair of gloves with shipping for less than the Featherman Gamebird plucker. I might splurge on the Featherman Scalder if I can't find a good gas scalder chearper. Any suggestions?

I just use a large kettle on a propane burner.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom