Face Swollen and bleeding ears

sirenaspring

Chirping
May 1, 2022
Hi everyone! I’m sorry I don’t have any photos of our poor girl since she belongs to my parents and they don’t know how to text anything, but I’ll do my best describing the issue.

I visited my parents yesterday and her face was in pretty bad shape. They said it started three or so days ago on one side of the face and thought she just scratched herself. Now the swelling has progressed and both her eyes are half shut and had bleeding ears! I was pretty angry at them for just letting it progress tbh.

Hen: She’s a momma hen with 6 teenage chicks following her around. She looks like a mixed breed so I have no clue what she is.

Symptoms: Swollen face (both sides), swollen eyes, kinda crusty and bumpy skin on the face, and bleeding ears.

She is eating and drinking fine while also taking care of her teens. No respiratory symptoms as far as I know. All of the flock is in great condition and it’s just her.

I’m hoping to take her to a vet later today. She’s the only vet that tries her best with my chickens even though she’s not an expert in poultry care. Other vets here are useless and rude when it comes to chickens.

So I’m hoping that maybe someone can help me with some theories and pinpoint the problem for my vet. I would greatly appreciate it!

Hopefully the vet can see her. Surely the vet can determine if this is illness or injury.

Hard to know what's happened without photos. Perhaps she got into a fight with the other hens in the flock since she's got youngsters. Wounds around the face can become infected pretty quickly if they aren't addressed.

Back
Top Bottom