failing silkie chick

Noelg

Chirping
11 Years
Aug 5, 2010
Hi all
Ive been nursing this baby white silkie for about 3 days now, she is 8 days old,I lost her sibling already 2 days ago. she generally just seems weak,sleeps right under the bulb for what im assuming is for maximum warmth.
She was in the brooder with all the other chicks i have(8) but i have now built another brooder and have her in there with one other silkie that is smaller then her and 3 days old

I have lost 2 others from the same place, i know it happens but it only seems to be going on with the silkies.

so heres the lowdown.
she is in a a brooder on shavings, chick starter crumble which i have wetted a bit with pedilyte starting this morning.
has been on duramycin-10 since last sunday night at the suggestion of the breeder,after i lost the 1st white one.
i have been making sure to keep her hydrated by dipping her beak in the water every few hours.
She is eating(not as much as the others). poop is normal although i have had to wash her for pasty butt 2x since ive gotten her here.
general lethergy with small bursts of energy but she is for sure not acting like the other chicks.

Any advice would be appreciated:) i can send a pic if it would help
TIA

noelg

what is the temp under the lightbulb? is she cold? maybe she is just sleepy:^[

It is at 85 right now where they are laying,just outside of the bulb. they are snuggled in with a feather boa and seem to be enjoying it.
She is peeping quite a bit and trying to get under the other little one, i think she is too cold, so i can switch to a 100 watt clear and
continue to watch the temp. Shes a week old so i should be round the 90 degree mark right under the bulb right? with room for them to adjust themselves to a comfortable level,correct?

i have them in a large storage tote with a wire top and a lamp.i needed to create something that was kitty proof and this does the trick!

She just doesn't act as lively as the others, and after loosing 2 others this week, Im a worried chickie momma!
I have raised 14 others this past spring and didnt loose one. but those where eggers and RIR's and pekins

Silkies are really hard to come by round here, and if i loose these. I think im outta luck until spring!

Thanks
noelg

shes gone...... i dont think this silkie thing is for me. I just cant take loosing them like this.

hit.gif
hugs.gif

I am so sorry:( Losing a chick is the worst.

I'm so sorry. I lost 3 of my 6 silkie chicks first go-around - within a week. I tried again with chicks a few days older and had good success. Don't give up. They are a fun, wonderful breed. (It sounds like you did everything right. Sometimes, sadly, they just die.)

That sucks, just saw this thread and was going to suggest adding some sugar to the water. It doesn't always help, but, sometimes it gives them enough energy to feel better for long enough to be beneficial. I know the feeling about the pasty )utter I spent countless days washing the butts of my silkies and lost about four of them and some other bantams to a black snake this year. I just hope the ones that survived are at least one pulled and cockerel. want to use silkies to hatch.and raise chicks for me this time.

This is something that I have learned only through my own experience that I will share with you.

I hatch LOTS of my own Silkie chicks and the single biggest factor that I have learned with day old chicks (until they are several weeks old) is the importance of a really good starter. I use Manna Pro Gamebird/Showbird Starter Feed and I also use a Parrot vitamin in their water. This single chance has made one heck of a difference in their mortality rate. DONT TRUST THE AMOUNTS OF VITAMINS AND MINERALS IN YOUR 50# BAGS OF FEED.

And, as far as temp. is concerned, yes, it also matters also. With 90 degree temps and no drafts you will find you don't have the problem with pastie butts.

I certainly hope this helps.

I'm sorry for your loss.
sad.png

Claudia

Last edited:
Thanks Claudia
i have written it down and will track it down, Is this a good idea for all chicks? or is this just for silkies?

I have 3 silkies that have survived 2 have made it to the 2 week mark, and one is at 3 days.

and i shouldn't of gotten the 3 day old one, im not to thrilled with the breeder, I will not get any more birds from them.

But i had given one to my nephew and he named it. I didnt have the heart to tell him that his died and his cousins both survived.

Thanks again
smile.png

Noel

Back
Top Bottom