Fair chickens from FFA at skool

Do you have pictures of your pair? People here on BYC, like me, can help give you pointers on how to show better if you need help.
D.gif

Yes, I started a thread to ask for help so I could get my chickens to stand still on the table. I got very good advice and encouragement along they way. Everyone is very supportive.

They made her sell it? if they told me that i had to if i won then i wood probably tell them that i can keep my animal and sum1 else can win:)

What type of things are you looking for. You need to know all body parts on a hen and rooster. Common poultry problems, with how to fix it. A question I was asked was how to give a chicken a bath, I never do that with mine so I just came up with a likable solution. Also how you know a hen is going to lay a egg. But you can get any type of question, depends on the judge.
Also you need to teach your bird to stand on the table. If it moves, just put it where you want it to be. Always want the bird to face the judge, look at them when answering a question.

Ya, I don't know in all they how many questions asked. There really easy questions, but it depends on the judge for the type of questions you get. It was a great experience the first time. You also get money for ribbons. Our fair had carnival rides come in, so they gave out no premiums for ribbons. But I got $20 for rabbit judging and a poultry test, might be good to know how to show rabbits and things like that, also know about other types of poultry. I got $54.75 for a add on and blue ribbon on my note book.
Do you do AET, Agriculature Experance Tracker? Our school does that, it helps with your record book. You will also need the record book with all your income and out come, and pictures with you in them, all in the book.

I have ag. [class] so I know some of that but i didn't know that they [the judges] were going to ask questions!.
It varies from Show to Show, at the larger poultry shows (100+ birds) only your chicken is being judged, not your speech or anything other than the chicken. At more of a 4-H setting, you'll get speaker points where you present your chickens one at a time near you cage or on a table. To place higher you should know your breeds history and their ideal weights for a pullet, hen, cockerel and rooster, and have those memorized. You'll also want to point out all the good things out about you bird, phrases like "my hen has remarkable markings, she's very tame, she gets a high nutritional diet...etc."

:D Happy to help.

thnx, i didnt kno that, i dont kno my most tamed roosters breed but i really wanna enter him in the fair, i was gunna check it out

Back
Top Bottom