Fair price for breeding stock? 20 yrs developing silver laced Brahmas

Big Medicine, my hat is off to you your birds are gorgeous. I hope people realize there is more than being committed to a project for 20 years. You have to have the brains and foresight to know what pair to put together, and what to do with the succeeding generations to keep the qualities in, and breed the flaws out. I used to breed show dogs and I know people that were in the breed for many years but, every generation looked like the original breeding stock - no improvements. First they didn't think their original stock needed improvements, and second they probably didn't know what should be done with them.

I hope anyone lucky enough to purchase some of your stock will put ego aside and let you suggest what is the best way to progress with the breeding. Personally I feel there were probably breeders at the show that didn't want to show any attention to your stock. Knowing show people they often resent when someone new outdoes their efforts. There are also the type that will approach and say your stuff is okay and they'd take some off your hands for a very low price. You don't have to beg anyone to have your birds. They are worth more than the prices suggested because you have done 20 years of serious work developing them and the person buying them has most of the work done for them.

Agree with you that you could bring some mature stock to show what they will develop into. But thats why people go to shows - win or lose you learn alot. I will be watching eggbid and hope you do very well. Please don't feel you don't deserve to make big bucks on your stock. You seem like a very humble person and I imagine somewhat embarrassed by all the stir your birds are causing. You aren't going to go "hollywood" on us - please do enjoy the fruits of your efforts. Very best wishes to you.

All I can say is I'm surprised there aren't other breeders lined up for some of your started birds. You've spent a lot of time, energy and money to develop a gorgeous new variety.

I sure wish I had the incubator space for your eggs.

Thank you for the kind words.

I posted more photos on the egg auction, thought I might add a few here.

24364_dscf3399.jpg

24364_dscf3428.jpg

24364_chickens_371.jpg

Your blue-laced are nice, but I am still of the opinion that they can't hold a candle to your silver laced. Those silver laced are just the cat's meow.

As far as gifting, perhaps to others that you are close to, the rest of us should pay fair market price. After all, 20 years in development is 20 years of feed, culling, work, and care. I, for one, think you deserve to reap whatever rewards the market deems your due- after all how many are currently benefitting from 'trendy' breeds that they didn't have a hand in developing?

I've been lurking for a long time. And I just must say.

I am so darn surprised. They are beautiful birds, and everyone seems interested. But no one wants to buy.

It's a shame 20 years of hard work, and there seems no one really understand just how much money, and time when into these birds.

I would of thought they would be worth like $300-$500 a pair. Not $100. Easy.

They are beautiful birds, you should be proud of your acomplishment. Good luck on finding people willing to pay a good price, and work hard to continue what you have started.

I shall go back to my corner now.
tongue.png

Well ya, I have only been breeding the blues for three years. You should have seen what a mess the silvers were at that stage. This is only the second generation (F2) away from pure wyandotte, have a lot of that influence to breed out yet.

Some people just like to "bow and scrape," or maybe it's called "kissing up," like saying how very much they are worth but, of course they mean SOMEONE ELSE should pay that amount not them.

My friend sells plants on ebay and has the exclusive right to some very rare/unusual types. People who are familiar with him want the plants but only if they get them for next to nothing., or if they get free samples (leaves, cuttings, etc.) People who don't know him - usually bid very well.

What's that old saying "Put your money where your mouth is." " Talk is cheap." Everybody wants something until its time to spend the $$$$. I think the OP should list them elsewhere and not be humble about his accomplishments. No wishy washy, just trying to see IF someone will buy them. Have confidence in these fine birds and just put them out there at a good price, maybe opening at $ 100 each and see what happens. If they don't sell right away, sometimes its just that the right people haven't see them.

My friend with the plants can list a certain one several times with no bids and out of the blue, there was a bidding war one week and it sold for $ 99. a new record for him. Of course the ones who just lurked hoping they would get it for a few bucks were very, very disappointed. Too bad!!

Quote:
I agree. Thats why it's always a gamble with chickens, or actually anything. You just never know if your going to find the right person.

I wouldn't give these beauties away. I agree. Ask what you want for them. And if there is serious people out there they will pay.

I think Eggbid is the best place to list, just because of the traffic. You can reference having an auction on eggbid here in this thread. Of course, it is a matter of what the market will support. Another issue could be the lack of feedback at this point. I have sold plants on ebay in the past and I had poor luck getting bids until the first few buyers got my packages and posted feedback. I made sure I sent them nice packages, and the feedback was quite flattering.

After that, I got more bids on my auctions.

Back
Top Bottom