1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fair price for duckling Muscovy

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Anna6, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Anna6

Anna6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2014
    SoCal
    I saw an advertisement for Muscovy ducklings $15 each. Is that a reasonable price for one day or couple of days old? Also can Muscovy ducklings be sexed?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Yes, it is. But of course, it depends on where you are located. Where I am I think $10 each is more typical.

3. Alaskan

I missed the sexing question.

I think most people just wait until they are a bit older. By 6 weeks, definitely by 12 weeks, the males are much bigger than the females.

1 person likes this.
  4. Anna6

Anna6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2014
    SoCal
    Thank you alskan. I appreciate your help.

5. Alaskan

No problem.

I love my muscovies! Super cute, and smart, and they wag their tails like little puppies! :D

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Day? couple day olds? that is quite high. I have sold older birds for 15$ but they were several months old, usually with scovies the older the more pricey. YOunger ones? well, i have bought those for like 7$ and then even less.. it definitely varies i realize.

As for sexing? very unusual, there are sex linked chocolates.. but otherwise most cannot tell till a few weeks old, the more you see the more you get the look however.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  7. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    i have never payed more then $5 for a ducklings i just got me some that was for $8 and half grown i think that is way to high but i wish i could sell duckling for that down here

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    MOst everyone i know including myself, sell scovies for higher as they grow... being meat bird based it's only logical as you've put the feed and time into beefing that bird up.

1 person likes this.
  9. Gonetothebirds

Gonetothebirds Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2014
    That's high. I payed ten for a four month old hen.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't sell ducklings that often but a couple years I sold to 3 week olds for 5 each.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by