Fair price for duckling Muscovy

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Anna6, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Anna6

Anna6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2014
    SoCal
    I saw an advertisement for Muscovy ducklings $15 each. Is that a reasonable price for one day or couple of days old? Also can Muscovy ducklings be sexed?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Yes, it is. But of course, it depends on where you are located. Where I am I think $10 each is more typical.

3. Alaskan

I missed the sexing question.

I think most people just wait until they are a bit older. By 6 weeks, definitely by 12 weeks, the males are much bigger than the females.

1 person likes this.
  4. Anna6

Anna6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2014
    SoCal
    Thank you alskan. I appreciate your help.

5. Alaskan

No problem.

I love my muscovies! Super cute, and smart, and they wag their tails like little puppies! :D

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Day? couple day olds? that is quite high. I have sold older birds for 15$ but they were several months old, usually with scovies the older the more pricey. YOunger ones? well, i have bought those for like 7$ and then even less.. it definitely varies i realize.

As for sexing? very unusual, there are sex linked chocolates.. but otherwise most cannot tell till a few weeks old, the more you see the more you get the look however.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  7. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    i have never payed more then $5 for a ducklings i just got me some that was for $8 and half grown i think that is way to high but i wish i could sell duckling for that down here

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    MOst everyone i know including myself, sell scovies for higher as they grow... being meat bird based it's only logical as you've put the feed and time into beefing that bird up.

1 person likes this.
  9. Gonetothebirds

Gonetothebirds Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2014
    That's high. I payed ten for a four month old hen.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't sell ducklings that often but a couple years I sold to 3 week olds for 5 each.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by