Fairy Egg Question (just for fun, maybe)

BlondieSoup

Songster
Apr 17, 2021
Leander, TX
I've read that fairy eggs are often darker than the normal eggs produced from the same hen. That being the case, I was wondering if you more experienced folks could weigh-in on whether this fairy egg probably came from the same EE who laid the lighter green eggs in the background (a new layer who has laid her first 4 eggs or so in the past week) or if this is more likely from a brand new EE layer?
One of my EEs has been squatting for months with hip points 2+ fingers apart and still no eggs, while the other EE was not squatting and only 1-1.5 fingers right up until SHE started laying the green eggs (first one was sort of elongated and had blood on it, but she quickly adjusted, hips and all). If I hadn't caught her in the act of laying her first egg, I would have bet money that it was the other (more "mature") EE who had laid it. They are both 39 weeks.
I'm super excited to get my first fairy egg (especially a cute green one!) but part of me is also hoping that this may be an indication that my faker-almost-layer is finally starting up the egg-making equipment. Though, given that my new (proven) green layer did not lay a proper egg today, I may already know the answer.
(And because someone will ask: yes, they often free range in a tiny suburban backyard which I regularly scour for hidden eggs- not many hiding places and no findings to date - and they have been locked in the coop/small run for a few days at a time here and there just to be sure I don't have a secret layer. I'm half-convinced my free-loading, physical liar of a pullet is internally laying, but there's no real signs of that so I'm still mostly joking.)

I digress. So just for fun... same chicken??!

Attachments

• 20211229_180829.jpg
    20211229_180829.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 42
Hard to say which hen it came from. It is a 50----50 split in my opinion. I have had fairy eggs from my chickens in the past,,,,,,, but they were not green layers. They were white layers, and the tone color was same as their regular eggs.
BTW,,, I call them Fart eggs. :gig
Yours looks exceptionally bigger than the fart eggs I usually encountered. Maybe because some were from bantams.
Often times,, when pullets start to lay,, their eggs are somewhat small initially. That being said,,,,, the eggs should be fully formed and developed,,,, just small.
The Fart eggs that I encountered did not have a yolk inside.
Crack your small egg, and see what it looks like.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Hard to say which hen it came from. It is a 50----50 split in my opinion. I have had fairy eggs from my chickens in the past,,,,,,, but they were not green layers. They were white layers, and the tone color was same as their regular eggs.
BTW,,, I call them Fart eggs. :gig
Yours looks exceptionally bigger than the fart eggs I usually encountered. Maybe because some were from bantams.
Often times,, when pullets start to lay,, their eggs are somewhat small initially. That being said,,,,, the eggs should be fully formed and developed,,,, just small.
The Fart eggs that I encountered did not have a yolk inside.
Crack your small egg, and see what it looks like.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
Thanks for responding! I finally opened it up and as expected, it was just a ball of egg white. Hard to get through the membrane though. I guess it was probably from the established green layer but still keeping my eye on the other EE and hoping! I can't imagine how small bantam fart eggs must be! I nearly missed this one as it is. 🥚

Attachments

• 20211231_085030.jpg
    20211231_085030.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 22
I've read that fairy eggs are often darker than the normal eggs produced from the same hen. That being the case, I was wondering if you more experienced folks could weigh-in on whether this fairy egg probably came from the same EE who laid the lighter green eggs in the background (a new layer who has laid her first 4 eggs or so in the past week) or if this is more likely from a brand new EE layer?
One of my EEs has been squatting for months with hip points 2+ fingers apart and still no eggs, while the other EE was not squatting and only 1-1.5 fingers right up until SHE started laying the green eggs (first one was sort of elongated and had blood on it, but she quickly adjusted, hips and all). If I hadn't caught her in the act of laying her first egg, I would have bet money that it was the other (more "mature") EE who had laid it. They are both 39 weeks.
I'm super excited to get my first fairy egg (especially a cute green one!) but part of me is also hoping that this may be an indication that my faker-almost-layer is finally starting up the egg-making equipment. Though, given that my new (proven) green layer did not lay a proper egg today, I may already know the answer.
(And because someone will ask: yes, they often free range in a tiny suburban backyard which I regularly scour for hidden eggs- not many hiding places and no findings to date - and they have been locked in the coop/small run for a few days at a time here and there just to be sure I don't have a secret layer. I'm half-convinced my free-loading, physical liar of a pullet is internally laying, but there's no real signs of that so I'm still mostly joking.)

I digress. So just for fun... same chicken??!
Fairy egg? Always learning something new about chickens here. Wow.

Thanks for responding! I finally opened it up and as expected, it was just a ball of egg white. Hard to get through the membrane though. I guess it was probably from the established green layer but still keeping my eye on the other EE and hoping! I can't imagine how small bantam fart eggs must be! I nearly missed this one as it is. 🥚
Fart eggs? :lol:

I'll let you guys know if I get any fairy/fart eggs from my bantam Easter eggers... that is if the FINALLY lay eggs. They are 26 weeks old now🙄😭
My EE Blondie just passed 42 weeks and is still not laying. She's been squatting since Fall and sometimes checks out the nest boxes, but she's just a big, fat, faker. I hope your bantams start earning their keep soon!

I have had many fairy eggs either from new layers or older layers who have molted and then started laying again. The color, usually as I remember, has always been the same color as the big eggs the same girl lays. In fact, this is how I could tell with at least three of my chickens, which chicken the fairy egg came from because it was that exact tone. I currently have six hens and we can tell which egg comes from which girl by size, shape, and color tone. We have three green layers, two brown tones, and one white egg layer.

Back
Top Bottom