Fairy Tail Farms English Orpingtons

Pics
Hmm, okay. I think I'll just get more BLG next spring then instead. Rather just get those than just get BLRs from a pair of both
The gold are not the desired color. My thought was you wanted the deep red. I was just saying if crossing the two you would have a lot of gold laced in the future and would be hard to cull out of the flock. If you wanted both in your flock then it would be the way to go- dark red and gold. If the red is only carrying one copy then you'd see both this spring, if two copies of Mh then you'd see both types spring 2023. It's odd to me as the deep red is what most desire and the gold ones are usually looked at as hatchery quality.

Surprisingly the gold laced sell really well here.
Those and the BLR sell for the same. SL out sells them both.
It's country folk here so I think there's appeal in the tried and true. Barred Rocks out sell everything.

The gold are not the desired color. My thought was you wanted the deep red. I was just saying if crossing the two you would have a lot of gold laced in the future and would be hard to cull out of the flock. If you wanted both in your flock then it would be the way to go- dark red and gold. If the red is only carrying one copy then you'd see both this spring, if two copies of Mh then you'd see both types spring 2023. It's odd to me as the deep red is what most desire and the gold ones are usually looked at as hatchery quality.
my blg is stunning imo, so I wanted to make more. I like the blrtoo,, even if they're the correct verson, but not enough to only do that coloring

1) do you have any frizzling in your cochin groups?
GIF by Hyper RPG

No frizzles. Not a fan. And I don't want to have to worry about frazzling.
2) how are the white Orpington going? Do you have a new male yet?
legally blonde GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

I have one hen left after all the issues with the bobcat. I've reached out to some people who got chicks from me to see if anyone has an extra cockerel. If all else fails I'm going to put the four Splash hens and the White hen in with the Silver-laced Cockerel. The Silver-laced girls won't have a male to cover them, because I don't have an extra anymore...%$&*#&*@! bobcat... but at least that way I know all the blues are F1 Blue Silver-laced and the black/silver chicks are out of Anne and are all split White. I'll keep the best cockerel and all the split sisters and put him over his mom and the sisters to get more pure Whites. Once I have enough the split girls can go back onto the Silver-laced pen as I don't mind them throwing the occasional White should a split male be present in the pen. Once I have a white cockerel I can put him over the pure (older) SL hens to generate more unrelated splits. But I'm really hoping I can find some nice Whites from an old customer.
3) what do you think of Millie Fleur/ Calico cochins?
No Way Reaction GIF

If they were more consistent I might like them. I have an issue with the Mille Fleur/Calico pattern on birds where it's not well established and locked in. I have a friend with a flock of Tolbunt Polish and every time he sends me a pic of them I just want to scream.
angry schitts creek GIF by CBC

Every one of them looks different from the rest. The color and pattern aren't consistent. Something like a Speckled Sussex or a Mille Fleur OEBG (no d'Uccles...I hate those feet!) look fairly uniform across pens. I waffle on Jubilee Orpingtons because their color is all over the place. You get the light pullets and the dark ones and blech. So yeah, I wouldn't personally keep Mille/Calico Cochins simply because I personally don't like it. I'm sure @Overo Mare will come to shame me. lol

GIF by Hyper RPG

I have one hen left after all the issues with the bobcat. I've reached out to some people who got chicks from me to see if anyone has an extra cockerel. If all else fails I'm going to put the four Splash hens and the White hen in with the Silver-laced Cockerel. The Silver-laced girls won't have a male to cover them, because I don't have an extra anymore...%$&*#&*@! bobcat... but at least that way I know all the blues are F1 Blue Silver-laced and the black/silver chicks are out of Anne and are all split White. I'll keep the best cockerel and all the split sisters and put him over his mom and the sisters to get more pure Whites. Once I have enough the split girls can go back onto the Silver-laced pen as I don't mind them throwing the occasional White should a split male be present in the pen. Once I have a white cockerel I can put him over the pure (older) SL hens to generate more unrelated splits. But I'm really hoping I can find some nice Whites from an old customer.

No Way Reaction GIF

If they were more consistent I might like them. I have an issue with the Mille Fleur/Calico pattern on birds where it's not well established and locked in. I have a friend with a flock of Tolbunt Polish and every time he sends me a pic of them I just want to scream.

Every one of them looks different from the rest. The color and pattern aren't consistent. Something like a Speckled Sussex or a Mille Fleur OEBG (no d'Uccles...I hate those feet!) look fairly uniform across pens. I waffle on Jubilee Orpingtons because their color is all over the place. You get the light pullets and the dark ones and blech. So yeah, I wouldn't personally keep Mille/Calico Cochins simply because I personally don't like it. I'm sure @Overo Mare will come to shame me. lol
No shame from me - more for meeee! :plbb

GIF by Hyper RPG

No Way Reaction GIF

Fair enough. Just figured I would ask since those are on the list for next year too and if you had them, I'd get them from you first obviously

Back
Top Bottom