falcon attack on my fantails

mysstic

Hatching
7 Years
May 28, 2012
Hi everyone,

I've got four fantails. We live in a very quiet beach suburb, (nth QLD, AU) never had any problem before. The pigeons never go too far, usually they just sit in the cage or on our balcony & deck. I always lock them up for the night and let them out late morning. However, yesterday, around midday, we heard some noise from outside, sounded like a fight, but these four pigeons sometimes fight among themselves, because the cock is a bit of a bully, so we don't usually pay much attention to these noises. But very luckily we were just at the door, so we rushed outside and saw a big falcon or a hawk, or something like that attacking the cock, which is the biggest one of these four. Poor thing was already cornered to the wall, so I think we were really just on time. The falcon flew away. My poor pigeon, was so scared, that couldn't move, so I caught him and put him back to the cage, My other three pigeons were gone, we didn't know what happened to them till they all came back just before dark.

And today there was like a small green tree snake climbing over our fence and looked like he was headed towards the pigeons.
I don't know if tree snakes can attack pigeons? II'm not even sure if it was a tree snake, there are so many different ones.

I don't know what happened that we suddenly been invaded with predators. never happened before.

So now, not sure what to do, worried that the falcon will come back. We can't baby sit them 24 hrs, and we don't want them to be locked up in the small cage either. I though maybe attaching a net over the small backyard might be a solution, but other small bird could be stucked in the net.

Here's the picture of their cage. I'm scared to let them out without supervision, though they don't mind staying inside at all,
in fact they tend to just site there even when the door is wide open. But I would hate to lock them up all the time.

The backyard, we have now only four, the two racing pigeons (white ones) gone. (one just moved out,
not taken by predators)

What are you suggestions? I though maybe to cover some part of the backyard with some sort of netting.

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
Netting is a great idea. You are going to need to do something because I assure you that your predator will return. Whatever you decide to do, don't waste any time in doing it, or you won't have any birds left to worry about.

Good luck.

Thank for the advice. I started to look for some netting, If you could give some advice where to get a good one.
I live downunder, Nth QLD, I think I can only get it online, maybe ebay?
I could only find anti bird netting on ebay.
Would this something like this be suitable? :
Commercial Knitted Anti Bird Netting?

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=bird+netting

I also posted it in the pigeon section

Back
Top Bottom