Falcon attack : (

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Jumpyquail, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Jumpyquail

Jumpyquail New Egg

Jan 2, 2014
    A falcon attacked and slaughtered my quail and traumatized one of them should I kill the falcon or let it be

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm sure that would be illegal.

3. Jumpyquail

Jumpyquail New Egg

Jan 2, 2014
    Turns out that it was a kestrel and I let it be I was just shocked at wha it did I forgot how hard wild animals have to hunt I let the bird go ... sadness I miss my quail

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I understand, it's tough.

I keep bottle rockets handy if hawks are hanging around. The pop up where they are sometimes helps.

Around here, both acipiters and buteo hawks give people fits. I've lost some meat birds to hawks but each of the rest of my flocks all have a penedesenca rooster with them and the hawks have tried on occasion but have been unable to get any hens.
    I lose more birds to dogs and raccoons. The way I look at it, the dogs and raccoons are invasive species, as am I and my chickens. The hawks were here before us.
    The same can't be said for quail, they're native too. Acipiters primary prey is birds so I guess we just need more birds.

5. Cheeky Chick

Cheeky Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    I have lost many, many birds to raccoons. I have become an expert in raccoon dispatch. We have loads of hawks but I have so many large bushes, my chickens are usually safe from over head attacks. (I also have a thick tree canopy over most of my property)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by