Falcons and fish net?

AKnewbie

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 30, 2012
Last Wednesday, a gyrfalcon attacked my then free ranging birds.
They have a fish net covered run but we free range them a few hours each day when either my husband or I are at home so we can check on them from time to time.
Anyway I heard a frantic quacking and a commotion by my front door and by the time I open it up (expecting a dog), I see the falcon pinning down Daisy (the female duck) about 6 feet away. The male, Daffy (I know, I know... my kids named them), was frantically trying to defend Daisy by continually flapping his wings. I yell and charge at the falcon until it let go of Daisy but as rounded by the side of our house, it met an oncoming chicken and grabbed it. I keep yelling at it and chasing it until it let go.
It flew very low to the ground until it perched on one of our trees. At this point, none of my birds were nowhere to be seen except for Daffy who had run into the house.
Falcon hung around the trees in our house for the next couple of hours or so.
Fortunately, we found all of our birds. Of course, they probably will never free range again and will remain in their run that is covered at the top by fish net.
My question is, is this enough or should we replace the fish net with chicken wire?

I personally do not feel Fish netting or Chicken wire are secure enough to ward off birds of prey.

What would be an alternative?
So if they go through the fish net, do they not get tangled up in it?

Back
Top Bottom