Fall, surgery, 3 months in rehab facility

I'm hoping some of the information I'm posting will help

1. There are several resources that should be available to help her - including a National Network of what are called Area Agencies on Aging - operated by the State Unit or office of aging. The AAA's give information and referral to folks.

2. There are Ombudsman who work with residents of assisted living, nursing homes, etc. and may also offer some solutions regarding if stay can be extended, plans for outplacement, etc.

3. The Discharge planner of the facility should be working very hard at this point in time to make sure that there is a safe and secure place for this person to immediately be transferred to.

4. Should there be "any need" for her to be rehospitalized, the clock will start over on the length of stay at the facility (or these were the rules I knew back when i was familiar with aging/disability programs

5. Beyond the issue of moving, I am concerned about danger to the leg in the move. I would be on the phone and if necessary contacting a congressman/woman's office about this constituent problem and if needs be the media.

6. It's NOT the fault of the rehab center, they are bound by rules of how long a person can stay.

7. There used to be a way to "get a few" more days by refusing to be discharged from a hospital if one had no place to go....I don't know if it would apply here.

8. If she deems it necessary (and this is a very radical move) and feels that she is in danger of harm, she could talk with the the Department of Social Services for the County and explain that she feels like she is in imminent danger from a move and see if she could be put under their protective care. This would be a move that I would consider as a last resort.

I'm not on BYC often as we full time farm and I battle some health issues as well, though none as serious as this precious lady. The best way for anyone to get in touch with me is our farm e mail [email protected] As I sign off, I'm wrapping this entire situation in my thoughts and prayers. God bless you all.

I have an acquaintance that works for a service organization to help people under 65 who can't do things for themselves. It is a state funded agency that helps with these things and pays for the service. I am sorry but can't remember what it is called. Your welfare agency should be able to direct you to these services.
Also the department on aging has lots of programs to help. It will require statements from your doctor to get benefits. If you husband is a veteran you can apply for veteran benefits as well however these take months to go through but they do make up payment for the previous months while you waited.
Most hospitals now have a person who helps people make arrangements for help. You might call your local hospital where you had your surgery and ask for someone to talk to.

She is in Missouri Don't know the exact area though. Will someone close to her please be sure that she sees these resources. It's been about 5 years since I left social services but I've dredged up some infomation that I think could help.

Here is the missouri Aging Information Page
http://health.mo.gov/seniors/aaa/

Once you are there to see which AAA (Area Agency on Agig) covers your geographic area - These offer information and referral and many services, pleaesgo here:
click on the map:
http://health.mo.gov/seniors/pdf/AAARegion.pdf

If there are needs for "forward planning" not being helped by staff at the facility, etc., it might be an issue that Ombudsman can help with but I strongly suggest AAA contact first for Information and Assistance and to see if they can help with case management and other resources.
http://health.mo.gov/seniors/ombudsman/

There are a lot of resources on these pages.

Also there is a National Eldercare directory - it's a little harder to navigate, but here it is....
it should lead you to other AAA in US:
http://www.eldercare.gov/Eldercare.NET/Public/Index.aspx

Information about military benefits in Missouri is here:
http://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/Home/Benefit_Library/State__Territory_Benefits/Missouri.htm

I wish I were able to fly to her and help but hopefully some of this will provide some support to this couple ...God bless them and all the helpers! So hoping this will help. Nancy

As far as I can tell eggcited2 does not have regular access to the internet. It has taken some time between posts for her to respond. Now we just have to be patient, and wait for the next post. I am going to PM her, and see if there is a way for me to call her in person. I have unlimited minutes to be able call anywhere in the states. So as soon as we can make something happen we will if we can.

Thank you for all the links to the resources available in Missouri. I haven't ever had to make things like this happen, but my heart won't let me not try to help somehow.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and places to look for help. Still more has happened since I posted on jan. 6.

As for the bone growth stimulator; on Monday of this week, Jan. 7, the rep for Smith & Nephew called and said they had recieved the official written paperwork from the insurance. That let them legally be able to talk to us about selfpurchase. They talked to my hubby and their 'patient' advocate was able to arrange a self-pay. Smith & Nephew gave us 87% off the price of the bone stimulator. For a monthly payment of $30 (no interest charges or any charges to spread out the cost), paying until just shy of $500 total, we were able to get the bone growth stimulator. Brand new, and all needed things with it. It is the ultra sound pulses that my surgeon wanted and from what I have read on the internet reviews (from like Mayo's or the nih gov. information site), is the best to get. They brought it to me on Tuesday. Jan. 8.

While that was wonderful good thing to happen, also on Tuesday Jan. 8, the social worker, therapy director, and head person of financial affars came into my room. The insurance company had called that morning and informed the facility that since my leg is not healing at all, and I can not still put any weight on it, they were pulling payment for me to be there. The therapy director did say that they had reached as far as they could go with both physical therapy and occupational therapy for everything else but the broken leg. I had to call Bill and tell him to come get me as soon as possible, cause insurance was not kidding about pulling payment right away, They did not give the facility any additonal days for me to get ready to leave. Needless to say, I am now at home. At least I have the bone stimulator to use here at home.

The insurance is provided by where my husband is retired from. The business he retired from tells the insurance what to pay, what to cover and what to refuse. It is Blue Cross/Blue Shield, but it is not at all like any coverage a person would pay for themselves. BS/BC is only hired to do the paperwork and be the middle man.

I am 57 years old and don't know if I qualify for any senior help or any agency for older people. Our church is a little country church with about 20 members, most are older people.

I live a few miles north of Troy, MO. Which is about half way between St. Louis and Hannibal MO. on Route 61.

I still can't move around anymore than what I could at rehab. Use my walker only for transfers. I have only been able to sleep in a recliner (no bed) since 1999 - due to the heart disease, my asthma, the arthritis pain and a few other things. So I have my recliner in the front room to watch TV during the day, read, or what ever, and use it to sleep in at night. No having to move around to get from a bed to a chair in the front room. The commode is just to the left of my recliner, so it is only a couple hops with my walker to get to it and then back to the chair. Bill cooks and brings meals to me at my chair/recliner.

I have a friend who says she thinks she can come one day a weekend, and both days everyother weekend, and help pack. Bill has contacted some moving services. There is one who will go the 200 - 250 miles up in Illinois. The big companines need more notice to move us and on top of that, they are beyond too expensive to hire.

As the saying goes: when it rains it pours. That sure sums up my life.
hmm.png

The AAA's I mentioned do Information and referral for both seniors and disabled persons. I bet they could help you with some things. I am sooo glad you could get a friend to help with packing and the bone stimulator. I know you have a lot going on for you. I'll keep you in my prayers and if ever I can help track down resources for you, feel free to write our farm e mail - [email protected]

Egg, I am so sorry all this is happening to you! I agree with the earlier post about contacting your Senator/Congressman about this. It doesn't seem right that Chase (really don't like that company!) can do this to you. I wish I lived near you, I'd come pack for you. As for your brother, I'll pray for him. What he is doing is just wrong. We will keep praying for you and your husband. Hopefully between the great people on this site and the agencies, you will get moved with no problem. Keep us updated.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom