Falling Down Heights, my daily life

Pics
Well, two less drakes. Culled the Blue Boys, Smokey and Bandit. Since they hatched together and were so bonded, I decided to do the two of them together. But, they got their revenge as I sliced (very shallow) the back of my thumb knuckle. Yes, it's washed and I put antibiotic ointment on it.

I put the four duck eggs in lockdown in the Maticoopx incubator, where I have four rows of chicken eggs. Best I could do. Since the rows are elevated, I figured there would be less chance of contamination this way. For the other duck eggs that are due next week, I'll leave them in the MeeF and make some sort of partition.

Can't wait for the auction!!! Next year, I'll plan my hatchings around auction and sales dates. Although hopefully next year I'll have my sh*t together more, lol!

Duck Genetics Question: I used a genetics calculator today to determine what the offspring from my Blue Magpie drake would be, and was surprised to see that ALL the ducklings would be Magpie patterned! Is this true? My ducks are a White Magpie, Buff Orpington, Swedish Black, Rouen mix (normal Rouen colour), and Khaki Campbell mix (sorta looks like a Pencilled or Pied Mallard).

How the heck am I going to be able to tell between the pure Magpie and the mixes??!

@Pyxis ?

Not that I know of, but I could be mistaken. I've seen many fields with cattle in them but don't know if they're dairy. Up here, it's more 'cottage country' than anything else.
If you find any, see if they do veal. If they do, they might have old shelters that they want to get rid of or know where to find some. They look like they'd be great for small duck groups if you add a fence pen around them

If you find any, see if they do veal. If they do, they might have old shelters that they want to get rid of or know where to find some. They look like they'd be great for small duck groups if you add a fence pen around them
That's what I thought you might be getting at. It's a good idea. Maybe I'll check at some of the rural fairs this summer, since they always have dairy displays. Make some connections.

That's what I thought you might be getting at. It's a good idea. Maybe I'll check at some of the rural fairs this summer, since they always have dairy displays. Make some connections.
It would at least save on the heavy duty physical part of building new shelters. But I don't know if pricing would be worth it. Shipping here makes them all far too expensive to really even consider

It would at least save on the heavy duty physical part of building new shelters. But I don't know if pricing would be worth it. Shipping here makes them all far too expensive to really even consider
Yeah the cost is what scares me. And I doubt my little four-door sedan will even carry one of those! :lau

I have plenty of wood laying around though. Just need to get my butt in gear.

Back
Top Bottom